Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quick Time - Since Upgrade to Monterey Can't Record Screen VIDEO

I've been using Quick time to create a VIDEO of my computer screen - it always worked great and was very intuitive. After upgrading to Monterey I find that I have no idea how to create a screen recording - and somehow QuickTime is only taking screen captures instead of recording a video.

So, how the flip do you create a simple screen recording using Quick Time?

I see the menu items that strongly indicate Quick Time can record A VIDEO of the screen - but, once I start I can't tell if it's working and I see no button that says something like 'end screen recording'

What's going on?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 6:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2021 7:55 AM

i don't know which steps you've tried, so excuse me if you've already done these steps. there is two different methods to start a screen recording.

you can open QT and then go to AppleMenu > QuickTimePlayer > File and choose New Screen Recording.

or you can use the keyboard shortcut of "shift-command-5" to bring up the recording controls. there you can choose to record a selected portion of the screen or the entire screen.

you can also open "options" in those controls and choose where you want to save the recording, if you want to set a timer, and what "microphone" you want to use.

then, once you start a recording, a "stop" button appears in the menubar. you click it to stop the recording.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2021 7:55 AM in response to silver_mica

i don't know which steps you've tried, so excuse me if you've already done these steps. there is two different methods to start a screen recording.

you can open QT and then go to AppleMenu > QuickTimePlayer > File and choose New Screen Recording.

or you can use the keyboard shortcut of "shift-command-5" to bring up the recording controls. there you can choose to record a selected portion of the screen or the entire screen.

you can also open "options" in those controls and choose where you want to save the recording, if you want to set a timer, and what "microphone" you want to use.

then, once you start a recording, a "stop" button appears in the menubar. you click it to stop the recording.

Quick Time - Since Upgrade to Monterey Can't Record Screen VIDEO

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.