Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Try to get hotel wifi can connect on my phone but not my iPad

How do I proceed

iPad mini 5, iPadOS 15

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 10:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 10:23 PM

Not sure if this is the case, but some hotels only allow you to connect a single device at a time. Does this issue happen, regardless of which hotel you stay at or just one particular one? If just one, do they employ a "landing" page that you need to enter the hotel's credentials (typically your name & your room number) to gain access to the Internet?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2021 10:23 PM in response to Hotelwifi

Not sure if this is the case, but some hotels only allow you to connect a single device at a time. Does this issue happen, regardless of which hotel you stay at or just one particular one? If just one, do they employ a "landing" page that you need to enter the hotel's credentials (typically your name & your room number) to gain access to the Internet?

Dec 10, 2021 11:24 PM in response to Hotelwifi

As you are aware, a typical hotel (public Wi-Fi) portal uses a technique to "hijack" DNS queries to point to the hotel's "login" portal instead, regardless of what you entered into the web browser.

A few years back Apple decided to "simply" how these portal pages get presented on their devices. Their tactic is to perform a DNS check on connecting to any network to see if they can resolve any of their own domains. If that failed (as you would expect from the hotel's Wi-Fi), it knows that the device is being connected to a portal ... which then brings up this captive.apple.com page. This should only appear briefly before the hotel's page shows up. This typically should only be a few seconds, but it could be much longer.

Unfortunately, there is no method to disable Apple's pseudo portal page. The only means to avoid it, is not to connect to portals in the first place ... not very helpful, I know.

One thing you can check is if you use a VPN app with your iPad. If you do, be sure to disable it when connecting to the hotel's portal. Once successful, you can always re-enable it as needed.

The potential workaround would be to not attempt to connect to the hotel's Wi-Fi via Settings > Wi-Fi. Instead, at the iPad's Desktop, just open the Safari browser to any Internet site. This should bypass captive.apple.com and present you with the hotel's portal page.

Try to get hotel wifi can connect on my phone but not my iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.