Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where can I find the Catalina installer download now?

Apple appears to have moved the cheese again. Not available in the Store, or via "softwareupdate" (in Sierra). I need to perform a clean install on the MacBook before selling.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Dec 11, 2021 10:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2021 10:57 AM

The Age of this computer will Govern what newer version of macOS it will Qualify to install. Use About this Mac from the Apple Icon on Desktop - the required Information will be there.

With the above information in-hand - follow this How to get old versions of macOS and verify what version this computer Qualifies to install.  For Best results use Safari to commence the download as Others may not work.

Safari will open a redirect and open the Apple Store where the download can commence

Make Time Machine Backup  is very useful and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS

Notation - Mojave is the Last version to support 32 bit applications / extensions and Drivers. Catalina, Big Sur & Monterey supports only 64 bit and there is no workaround.

Suggest using Go64 to find 32 bit application before attempting the upGrade. Some or many of the Application already installed may required update or upGrades to 64 Bit Versions.

Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Un-installers, etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal  operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2021 10:57 AM in response to starcrazee

The Age of this computer will Govern what newer version of macOS it will Qualify to install. Use About this Mac from the Apple Icon on Desktop - the required Information will be there.

With the above information in-hand - follow this How to get old versions of macOS and verify what version this computer Qualifies to install.  For Best results use Safari to commence the download as Others may not work.

Safari will open a redirect and open the Apple Store where the download can commence

Make Time Machine Backup  is very useful and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS

Notation - Mojave is the Last version to support 32 bit applications / extensions and Drivers. Catalina, Big Sur & Monterey supports only 64 bit and there is no workaround.

Suggest using Go64 to find 32 bit application before attempting the upGrade. Some or many of the Application already installed may required update or upGrades to 64 Bit Versions.

Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Un-installers, etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal  operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation

Dec 12, 2021 4:04 AM in response to starcrazee

The links provide are accurate and when Apple Severs are functioning again they should work

Notation : Time Stamp of @ Neil was Dec 11, 2021 1:14 PM

Notation of my posting @ P. Phillips was Dec 11, 2021 1:57 PM

FYI - at the time os my posting - one could not know the Apple Servers were still not functioning. Further, there are still reports today Dec 12, 2021 @ 07:04 hrs EDT the Servers are still acting up

Dec 11, 2021 12:49 PM in response to Niel

The problem might lie with the Store. From my end it looks like they moved the software libraries (no longer accessible by "softwareupdate") and the Safari (12.1.2) on the MacBook to be updated will not support the schemes implemented on the Store web servers. (Produces errors in the browser like "Refused to execute a script for an inline event handler because 'unsafe-inline' does not appear in the script-src directive of the Content Security Policy.")

Thanks for the input though.

Dec 11, 2021 7:45 PM in response to PRP_53

P. Phillips - You might want to re-check the currency of you post, I’ve followed those links previously and walked away empty handed. Your other points about 64-bit limitations were very helpful. I used Go64 to great effect (to the point of being compelled to offer a donation).

Still looking for an official avenue to access and download full installers for older versions of OS X for three aged systems that I need to let go of, and I need to update to greatest supported OS before doing so.

Dec 13, 2021 6:39 PM in response to Niel

After finding an alternative method to acquire and install the Catalina update on my MacBook Pro (mid 2012)... this evening the aforementioned links seem to work now, and link to the App Store.

Additionally, the "softwareupdate" command seems work where it was coming up empty handed during the problem period;

softwareupdate -l

Software Update Tool

Finding available software

Software Update found the following new or updated software:

* Label: macOS Catalina Security Update 2021-008-10.15.7

Title: macOS Catalina Security Update 2021-008, Version: 10.15.7, Size: 1467914K, Recommended: YES, Action: restart, 

Thanks to all for the assist. Props to OSXDaily and dosdude1

Where can I find the Catalina installer download now?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.