Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New playlists created in iTunes or the Nano will not shuffle

I have a PC running iTunes 12.12.2.2 syncing with a Nano 5th generation (A1320) and any new playlist I create in iTunes or on directly on the nano (software ver 1.0.2 which iTunes reports is the most recent) will not shuffle.

I have tried creating playlists on the Nano using on the go playlist function (saving playlist when done) as well from within iTunes then syncing to the Nano.

At the top of the playlist is the Shuffle button & when I use the click wheel to select shuffle, the first song plays and shows song 1 of 1.

Previously created playlists start playing a random song showing 1 of x as appropriate for that playlist.

Thank you for your help,

tmfdia

Posted on Dec 11, 2021 1:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2021 10:09 AM

The first thing to check is whether the other songs will play in normal mode. If they do, that suggests that the songs have been set to skip un shuffling. This is an option in iTunes.

If this is the case, check the songs in your iTunes Library:

• select a song and right-click/Song Info/Options>Skip when shuffling. If there is a tick in the Skip when shuffling box (a check mark), then the option is turned on and that is why it won't play in shuffle mode. Turn the tick off and sync the iPod again (to get that revision onto the iPod)
  • to change several songs at once, select them all and right-click/Get Info. Click on Edit Items and then the Options pane. Again, make sure there is a tick in the box

Important information if you say "check mark". The following indication is not the check mark:

That indication tells you that some, but not all, of your selection is ticked. Click on the box until the tick appears, as shown below:

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2021 10:09 AM in response to Tmfdia

The first thing to check is whether the other songs will play in normal mode. If they do, that suggests that the songs have been set to skip un shuffling. This is an option in iTunes.

If this is the case, check the songs in your iTunes Library:

• select a song and right-click/Song Info/Options>Skip when shuffling. If there is a tick in the Skip when shuffling box (a check mark), then the option is turned on and that is why it won't play in shuffle mode. Turn the tick off and sync the iPod again (to get that revision onto the iPod)
  • to change several songs at once, select them all and right-click/Get Info. Click on Edit Items and then the Options pane. Again, make sure there is a tick in the box

Important information if you say "check mark". The following indication is not the check mark:

That indication tells you that some, but not all, of your selection is ticked. Click on the box until the tick appears, as shown below:

Dec 14, 2021 3:18 AM in response to the fiend

@the fiend

Excellent answer! The law of unintended consequences strikes again!

I was trying to make a Christmas playlist and I had previously set all Christmas songs to skip when shuffling so they would not play at random during the rest of the year.

The solution you posted was perfect, with screen shots to walk me through fixing it.

Thanks,

tmfdia

Dec 14, 2021 9:03 AM in response to Tmfdia

I'm pleased you managed to sort it out, despite my somewhat dubious instructions!

If they do, that suggests that the songs have been set to skip un shuffling.

Should read as: If they do, that suggests that the songs have been set to skip when shuffling.

Again, make sure there is a tick in the box

Should read as: Again, make sure there is no tick in the box, that the box is empty.

Click on the box until the tick appears, as shown below:

Should read as: Click on the box until the tick appears, as shown below and then click the box again to turn the tick off.

Other than that, my post was "perfect". (If only that were true.)

New playlists created in iTunes or the Nano will not shuffle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.