Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Keyboard Does Not Scroll

Hello! My issue has been happening on and off since a couple months after I got my iPad air (4th gen) and magic keyboard. Usually I can scroll by just moving my finger up or down on the trackpad. But every now and then, I will have to actually press down on the trackpad to activate the “click” and then drag up or down in order to scroll. I’m tired of this happening. Is there anyway to fix it and make sure it doesn’t happen anymore?

iPad Air, iPadOS 14

Posted on Dec 11, 2021 3:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2021 4:22 PM

Hello CinGutie,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We've reviewed your question and it looks like you’re running into an issue with your Magic Keyboard and your iPad. It's understandable that you'd want this resolved, so allow us to assist with that. Please start by taking a look here: Set up and use Magic Keyboard for iPad. Make sure everything is configured correctly.

Next, we advise taking the following steps, which may help with this unexpected behavior: restart your iPad, make sure it is up to date and close the app you are trying to scroll in and reopen it. Also, unpairing and re-pairing your keyboard and iPad may help as well.

1. Restart your iPad
  2. Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
  3. Quit and reopen an app on iPad
  4. Pair Magic Keyboard with iPad

Just to make sure you are aware, iPadOS doesn't support scrolling or other gestures with Apple Magic Mouse (1st generation) or Magic Trackpad (1st generation). If you have a later generation, this should be working as expected.

If you have follow-up questions, please let us know. We're here for you. Have a fantastic day!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2021 4:22 PM in response to CinGutie

Hello CinGutie,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We've reviewed your question and it looks like you’re running into an issue with your Magic Keyboard and your iPad. It's understandable that you'd want this resolved, so allow us to assist with that. Please start by taking a look here: Set up and use Magic Keyboard for iPad. Make sure everything is configured correctly.

Next, we advise taking the following steps, which may help with this unexpected behavior: restart your iPad, make sure it is up to date and close the app you are trying to scroll in and reopen it. Also, unpairing and re-pairing your keyboard and iPad may help as well.

1. Restart your iPad
  2. Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
  3. Quit and reopen an app on iPad
  4. Pair Magic Keyboard with iPad

Just to make sure you are aware, iPadOS doesn't support scrolling or other gestures with Apple Magic Mouse (1st generation) or Magic Trackpad (1st generation). If you have a later generation, this should be working as expected.

If you have follow-up questions, please let us know. We're here for you. Have a fantastic day!

Magic Keyboard Does Not Scroll

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.