Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Saving files in Word 2016 on mac

I am using MS Word 2016 on an imac (OS 12.0.1).

When editing a document, Word sometimes changes the doc name to something like ~WRD0000.docx and saves it. The doc is apparently saved in a folder NSIRD_Word_rvi_zjc.

If I then save the doc (cmd S) without noticing the name change, Word saves the doc but when I exit Word and try to find the file, I cannot find it and the original file (before the name change) no longer exists.

Where does Word save the file and how can I prevent this name change or if I can't prevent the name change, can I save the doc somewhere I can find it?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 11, 2021 9:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2021 4:56 AM

When you select "save as" there is a menu that has a selection for the suffix style. You need to select what you want as the default. Then it should remember for additional changes but you may need to revisit that in any new document you make.

3 replies

Dec 12, 2021 6:41 AM in response to blueflash99

Check and see if your app is set to autosave; something like every 8 minutes. That weird file name is very similar to the autosave files when mine is setup that way. I deselected autosave partially because of this very confusion. I handle backing up with TimeMachine and CCC. Office's backup is redundant and confusing at best.

Saving files in Word 2016 on mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.