Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WindowServer taking crazy amount of CPU

Since I updated to macOS Monterey, every time I watch any type of video, especially in full screen, WindowServer goes crazy. Suddenly my 2020 MacBook Air 4 intel core 8 Go with tons of space on the drive gets sluggish, overheats and the fan goes in overdrive. It stays this way for a while after I stop watching vids unless I shut down the computer and manually restart it. Simply restarting it keeps it as is until it decides to calm down. I ran my antivirus and nothing has been found. I deleted all the apps I don't use, reduced transparency, did a NVRAM and SMC reset and nothing works. I read that Bartender app could be the cause of the issue so I deleted it. I saw a slight improvement but WindowServer still goes berserk within minutes of watching vids with no other window or app actively open. Same in safe mode. Any idea?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 12, 2021 12:37 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

Dec 16, 2021 5:32 AM in response to lllaass

Hi sorry for the delay, been busy. I downloaded and ran etrecheck app. My system is in French though so some of the elements show up in this language. Hope it's not too big of a problem. This time WindowServer ramped up right after I opened my mac without engaging with it. I came back to it after breakfast and it was behaving like that. Thanks for your help

Dec 12, 2021 8:00 AM in response to JaypeHere

Download and run this app so wee can find more information about your installation. Run the app when the problem is occuring.

https://etrecheck.com/upgrade

It shows what is launched and other information and is very useful in finding causes of problems. After you first launch the app make sure you check Enable full disk access in the box in lower left.

After running the app use the app's feature to paste to clipboard. The in the text box for a reply in this forum click on the addition text icon. This is because the normal reply text box limits how much you can type.

No personal identifiable information is contained if the app output. The app was written for a person who is contributor to these Apple Support Communities

WindowServer taking crazy amount of CPU

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.