Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac os big sur compatible w, turbotax 2021 for mac

Is Mac OS Big Sir compatible with Turbo tax 2021 premier for mac

Posted on Dec 12, 2021 5:30 AM

14 replies

Jan 10, 2022 8:32 PM in response to Macmyj

I recently upgraded to Big Sur and now I am unable to open turbotax software for both 2020 and 2021. I receive an error message stating no available windows. I did not have any problems last year with the software. I worked with an Apple rep for over an hour this evening. After checking to see that my software was up to date he had me to uninstall and reinstall the turbo tax software. It still does not work. Any suggestions?

Feb 18, 2022 6:19 PM in response to planets_man

I have been using Big Sur to work on TurboTax 2020 Premier Desktop/CD. It seems to be working fine. However, the whole reason I purchased TurboTax was to be able to import Schedule D data directly from my broker. I have discovered that TurboTax does not support direct import to a Mac (something they don't publicize clearly, but which I confirmed with TurboTax customer service -- which is almost impossible to reach). The only work around is to convert my broker's data into a .txf file and then import that. But only the TurboTax Desktop/CD version will allow this (something they also don't explain in their sales materials but which I confirmed with TurboTax customer service ). But now the unexpected problem I have is that Apple now has no apps in the App Store that will allow for .txf files to be received or opened on a Mac. And so I am on the hunt for another source for such an app. I have spent, now, a couple of days of work trying to solve this TurboTax/Apple problem.

Feb 18, 2022 7:34 PM in response to steve626

Thanks for sharing your experience. My broker is TD Ameritrade. Yes, I purchased Premier for this reason because the sales pitches (like the one you linked to) tout this. But when I tried to import, I got messages from TurboTax that it couldn't do it. So I spent many hours reading TurboTax Community forum articles and found a few places where TurboTax employees and a few customers explained what I stated above about direct import not being possible with a Mac. Then I called their customer service and had it escalated up to the Resolutions Desk and then to the Supervisor of that desk. They confirmed that what the articles had stated was accurate. So I don't know what to think. Your experience is encouraging. I just don't know how to explain the disparity. As mentioned, I'm working now on 2020 taxes and using macOS Big Sur.

Feb 18, 2022 8:10 PM in response to JCarter4444

JCarter4444 wrote:

Thanks for sharing your experience. My broker is TD Ameritrade. Yes, I purchased Premier for this reason because the sales pitches (like the one you linked to) tout this. But when I tried to import, I got messages from TurboTax that it couldn't do it. So I spent many hours reading TurboTax Community forum articles and found a few places where TurboTax employees and a few customers explained what I stated above about direct import not being possible with a Mac. Then I called their customer service and had it escalated up to the Resolutions Desk and then to the Supervisor of that desk. They confirmed that what the articles had stated was accurate. So I don't know what to think. Your experience is encouraging. I just don't know how to explain the disparity. As mentioned, I'm working now on 2020 taxes and using macOS Big Sur.

The direct electronic import is possible for scores of brokers ... but apparently with some brokers it is not. The problem might be with Ameritrade and its systems' compatibility with users of Mac software. But Ameritrade is a large company and that would surprise me.

Can't you use the paper version of the 1099 (or appropriate forms) and enter the appropriate items into Schedule D using the "Forms" section of TurboTax, or by simply answering the questions posed in Easy Step of TurboTax? I do that for another organization that does not even offer a direct import option for TurboTax or other brands of tax software.

mac os big sur compatible w, turbotax 2021 for mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.