Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

One Macintosh HD > Two Time Machine Backups

Is it possible to backup one Mac HD using two Time Machine backups to two separate external drives.

The reason I ask is I recently needed to revert back to Mohave from Monterey. In my first attempt, I tried restoring using my CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner)bootable backup. In Recovery Mode, The system would not let me use the CCC Clone so I ended up restoring from TM.

In the new CCC V6, Bootable backups are not recommended. Instead, they've gone to a more TM like system where you can restore files from snapshots or I assume a whole user folder if needed.

At this point TM vs CCC, I'd rather have two TM backups on separate drives.

Is it Possible??

Posted on Dec 12, 2021 5:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2021 6:27 AM

Joe ~ Yes, it's possible. I've been using two separate external drives for TM backups for years – usually manually backing up to one drive daily and manually backing up to the other drive on Wednesdays. I'm still on Catalina, but presumably it's the same for Monterey:

• In Sys Prefs > TM > Click on Select Disk…

• In Sys Prefs > TM > Click on disk icon > Use Disk > Use Both.

By the way, SuperDuper! produces fully bootable backups.

õ¿õ¬

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2021 6:27 AM in response to Joe Gramm

Joe ~ Yes, it's possible. I've been using two separate external drives for TM backups for years – usually manually backing up to one drive daily and manually backing up to the other drive on Wednesdays. I'm still on Catalina, but presumably it's the same for Monterey:

• In Sys Prefs > TM > Click on Select Disk…

• In Sys Prefs > TM > Click on disk icon > Use Disk > Use Both.

By the way, SuperDuper! produces fully bootable backups.

õ¿õ¬

Dec 12, 2021 8:20 AM in response to Alancito

Thanks for the reply. Yes it does look like it will work. I can confirm using your path it works the same in Monterey. It looks like TM will do auto updating on both disks. May I ask why you back up manually.

CCC will do a bootable backup as well, but you need to use legacy versions prior to V6. According to CCC, Apple now does not allow some machines, some OS to restore from a clone. I think I found that out the hard way.

Dec 12, 2021 9:17 AM in response to Joe Gramm

Joe Gramm wrote: "May I ask why you back up manually."

Basically, I prefer to control when my daily TM backups run (usually first thing of the day.) That way, if something bad happens later in the day, I'll already know when the last good backup ran and what point to recover from.

Also, as I prefer to not have my drives permanently plugged in, when I do plug them in for a TM backup, I can wait for the system to completely finish accessing them before starting the backup manually. (Not necessary I know, but I like to think it helps the backup run smoother.)

Yes, doing one daily TM backup means I miss out on having every saved change I make recoverable, but I don't need that level of granularity.

õ¿õ¬

Dec 12, 2021 9:58 AM in response to Joe Gramm

2 TM backups sounds okay to me, but I'd advise making them run on different schedules – perhaps on alternate days. That way, if you hit a problem trying to recover from one backup, you may not hit the same problem recovering from the other – as the internal data structure will be different. (But I'm no expert on TM or backups in general.)

õ¿õ¬

One Macintosh HD > Two Time Machine Backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.