Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Junk folder says I have 176 messages, but it is empty.

My Junk folder is empty but the little notification number says "176." Normally when I delete all the junk in that folder, the number disappears. So is it really empty or do I have 176 spams somewhere?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Dec 12, 2021 7:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2021 2:14 PM

Hello, Maria Folsom.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Are you able to use a web browser and check to see if the email you're using still shows unread there? This could simply just be a sync issue. Try closing our the Mail app and restart your MacBook. Sometimes a restart can help resolve issues. You can go to the top menu > View > Sort By and see if any of the emails appear: Mark emails as read or unread in Mail on Mac

Keep us updated.

Cheers!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2021 2:14 PM in response to Maria Folsom

Hello, Maria Folsom.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Are you able to use a web browser and check to see if the email you're using still shows unread there? This could simply just be a sync issue. Try closing our the Mail app and restart your MacBook. Sometimes a restart can help resolve issues. You can go to the top menu > View > Sort By and see if any of the emails appear: Mark emails as read or unread in Mail on Mac

Keep us updated.

Cheers!

Dec 13, 2021 2:22 PM in response to Maria Folsom

If that doesn't help...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Manually Rebuilding Spotlight via Terminal

If the aforementioned Spotlight control panel approach doesn’t spur a reindexation of the drive, you may need to initiate it manually through the command line. Open Terminal and use the following command string to do so:

sudo mdutil -E /

This basically asks for temporary super user status, which is why Terminal may ask you for your password (it may not if you’ve used a sudo command recently or are already logged in as a super user or root. The command asks the unix tool mdutil to reindex the spotlight database for everything on the computer, including external drives, mounted disk images, etc.

sudo mdutil -i on /

Rebuilding a drive index can take a long time, so be prepared to wait whether you do it through the System Preference panel or the command line.

If still need be…

Open Terminal and run each of these one at a time

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

sudo /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -seed -lint -r -f -v -dump -domain local -domain system -domain user -domain network

killall Dock

sudo mdutil -E /

sudo mdutil -i on /

Rebuilding a drive index can take a long time, so be prepared to wait whether you do it through the System Preference panel or the command line.

My Junk folder says I have 176 messages, but it is empty.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.