Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to fix Safari redirection to yahoo search engine?

Safari constantly got redirected to Yahoo search engine.

And I noticed a weird address "chillsearch.xyz" always popped up right after I type something in the upper search bar and quickly disappeared, then yahoo.com address and the search result page would show up.

I ran the Antivirus software (mine is Trend Micro) and deleted all the detected files.

I tried cleaning Safari/Webpage Data, Search history, Caches, and Systems Preference/Login Items. And I also cleaned the suspicious files in Finder/Library/Application, /Application Support, /LaunchAgents, /LaunchDaemons, /Caches, etc., but still didn't work.

Is there any solution I can try?

Thank you so much!

Posted on Dec 13, 2021 8:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2021 8:22 AM

1. Try Safari Menu->Preferences->Search, and make sure its set to whatever Search Engine you want to use.
    1. Test. If it still doesn't work continue below.
  2. Try downloading Malwarebytes and running it once, see if it finds anything and can remove it: link->>http://malwarebytes.com/mac/
    1. Test again. If it still does not work, continue below.
  3. Download and run Etrecheck. Its a diagnostic utility, and post the results here so we may take a look. Link-> Using EtreCheck - Apple Community

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2021 8:22 AM in response to shyunph

1. Try Safari Menu->Preferences->Search, and make sure its set to whatever Search Engine you want to use.
    1. Test. If it still doesn't work continue below.
  2. Try downloading Malwarebytes and running it once, see if it finds anything and can remove it: link->>http://malwarebytes.com/mac/
    1. Test again. If it still does not work, continue below.
  3. Download and run Etrecheck. Its a diagnostic utility, and post the results here so we may take a look. Link-> Using EtreCheck - Apple Community

Jan 14, 2022 6:17 AM in response to shyunph

It happens due to your browser hijacked by some potentially unwanted program. They arrive in various forms like extensions, plug-ins, toolbars, search engines like Chillsearch[.]xyz that manages to change the default search preferences.

So, precisely its not a virus, but the actual reason being is a browser hijacker taking control over the browser. Eventually managing the search preferences that leads to the redirection. So, no matter how many times to try to revert back the settings, it will again stick to Yahoo on your Safari. Here I Found a fix for Stop Safari From Automatically Redirecting To Yahoo.https://techgeekspace.com/how-to-stop-safari-from-automatically-redirecting-to-yahoo/

How to fix Safari redirection to yahoo search engine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.