Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with changing the name of my users folder

I recently changed my name, but I bought and set up my current MacBook Pro while I was still using my old name, so the users folder is under that old name. Yesterday I followed the instructions I found here: Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder - Apple Support. This didn't actually change the name of my users folder, instead it created a new users folder with my new name. The old one is still there and I had to manually transfer all the items in my documents and desktop folders to the new users folder.

The problem is that the old users folder won't delete. Also, earlier today I downloaded a file and this file went to the downloads folder in my old user folder, not the new one. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? It's very annoying and I don't want to have to look at my old name every time I download something.

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 1:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 2:06 PM

Something isn't right. Log in under your old User Account, and then delete the newly created one: Delete a user or group on Mac - Apple Support. If it is not working the way you expect you might as well get rid of it.

Start over. After creating a new, temporary User Account, the first step of Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder - Apple Support renames the existing folder. You can verify it has been properly renamed before proceeding under Then rename the account.

When everything is working the way you want, you can then delete the temporary User Account you used for the sole purpose of renaming your User Account. Or, just leave it alone. It doesn't occupy much space.

Never neglect Apple's boxed notes:

Because doing this incorrectly could damage your account and prevent you from logging in, you should back up your important data before proceeding.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2021 2:06 PM in response to jhiggs3

Something isn't right. Log in under your old User Account, and then delete the newly created one: Delete a user or group on Mac - Apple Support. If it is not working the way you expect you might as well get rid of it.

Start over. After creating a new, temporary User Account, the first step of Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder - Apple Support renames the existing folder. You can verify it has been properly renamed before proceeding under Then rename the account.

When everything is working the way you want, you can then delete the temporary User Account you used for the sole purpose of renaming your User Account. Or, just leave it alone. It doesn't occupy much space.

Never neglect Apple's boxed notes:

Because doing this incorrectly could damage your account and prevent you from logging in, you should back up your important data before proceeding.

Problem with changing the name of my users folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.