You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple Watch charging cable doesn't fit into a standard USB port

Do I need to purchase a different charger?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 1:52 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 1:57 PM

So, it's another way for Apple to make money?

12 replies

Dec 14, 2021 1:59 PM in response to dbpaul11

No. Apple has been very clear over the last couple years they were no longer including Charging plugs with iPhone or Apple Watch. Most people have charging plugs they can use. I certainly did. If you don't, then you need to buy one. But you don't have to buy one from Apple as I suggested, the Anker you can get from Best Buy is a great charging plug.

Dec 14, 2021 1:57 PM in response to dbpaul11

If you don't already have a USB C charging plug or you can't plug the cable into the USB C port on your computer, then yes, you need to purchase a charging plug. To take advantage of Fast Charging, you want to buy a 20w USB C charging plug. Apple sells one. Best Buy and Amazon sell them as well. At Best Buy, you can pick up the Anker Nano 20w USB C charging plug for about $16 and it's highly rated.

Dec 14, 2021 3:18 PM in response to dbpaul11

Your next computer will have USB-C. Your next iPhone will have USB-C.

Also Apple is facing countries that levy a fine if they include a charger, and countries that levy a fine if they do NOT include a charger. Apple cannot win.

Apple has decided based on pressure from groups that think there is too much e-waste that it will not include the small charging bricks with every device (still included on laptops). Yes, that saves them money, but based on my home, I have about 20 charging bricks from various devices my family has purchased over the years, and many of them are still usable. So it was not a hardship in my home that Apple stopped including charging bricks.

You are going to soon find that most of your devices have a USB-C connector. The Apple Watch just. happens to be the first one you have come across.

My Apple Watch charging cable doesn't fit into a standard USB port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.