Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 13 charging cable

I recently bought iPhone13. Its charging cable is different from previous iPhones (the side that goes into the charging plug is different) and is of no use to me. I am having to use cable from my old Apple to charge the new phone. What is the solution? To buy a new appropriate plug which i don't want, or can I change that with the old type of cable from an Apple shop?

iPhone 13

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 3:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 5:36 PM

hani07 wrote:
But shouldn't I be getting that from Apple with the new Phone instead of getting a cable that I can't use? Thats really want I am trying to find out.

So can I take the new cable to Apple shop and to get it exchanged for the one that works as per the previous Lightning - USB-A cable charge cube combo

This is supposed to be an incentive to go to USB-C. There are several advantages to it including higher charging rates and no need for an adapter with current Macs that use USB-C/Thunderbolt 3.

I don't know where you're located, but I can find several MiFi-certified Lightning to USB-A cables for sale on Amazon for less than $10 for 5.

As for the loss of the packaged adapter, I have a house filled with USB-A power adapters and a few USB-C adapters. That's just kind of the way it is now as they're trying to avoid waste since so many already have them. Some countries don't allow the packaging of new power adapters with devices. My power adapter from my iPhone 4s is still fine to use with any iPhone.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2021 5:36 PM in response to hani07

hani07 wrote:
But shouldn't I be getting that from Apple with the new Phone instead of getting a cable that I can't use? Thats really want I am trying to find out.

So can I take the new cable to Apple shop and to get it exchanged for the one that works as per the previous Lightning - USB-A cable charge cube combo

This is supposed to be an incentive to go to USB-C. There are several advantages to it including higher charging rates and no need for an adapter with current Macs that use USB-C/Thunderbolt 3.

I don't know where you're located, but I can find several MiFi-certified Lightning to USB-A cables for sale on Amazon for less than $10 for 5.

As for the loss of the packaged adapter, I have a house filled with USB-A power adapters and a few USB-C adapters. That's just kind of the way it is now as they're trying to avoid waste since so many already have them. Some countries don't allow the packaging of new power adapters with devices. My power adapter from my iPhone 4s is still fine to use with any iPhone.

Dec 14, 2021 4:22 PM in response to hani07

I guess you didn't do any research before buying your new iPhone. Apple made it clear what was in the box online. And since iPhone 12, they haven't included charging plugs with iPhone or Apple Watch. Apple's way of going green is one explanation. And they know most people have a drawer full of charging plugs. If you have a previous iPhone, you can use the very same charging cable and plug you used for it. If you have a computer with USB C, you can use that. If you never owned an iPhone nor have a computer with USB C (ALL newer computers come with USB C), then you'll need to buy a charging plug if you want to charge your phone plugged in. I use the new MagSafe charging system, which is terrific. But I had to invest in MagSafe. Just like you may need to invest in something that will meet your needs for charging your phone.

The world is rapidly moving to USB C. USB A is very old technology and can't offer fast charging, like USB C can.

Finally, Samsung no longer includes charging plugs with their phones and watches, for the very same reasons.

Dec 14, 2021 5:42 PM in response to lobsterghost1

lobsterghost1 wrote:
The world is rapidly moving to USB C. USB A is very old technology and can't offer fast charging, like USB C can.

It's capable of more. I think Samsung has some USB-A adapters that can put out 3 A to compatible QuickCharge devices/cables. However, Apple hasn't participated.

The only thing that seems to be the limitation of Lightning is data speeds, even with a USB-C end. Other Apple devices (iPads) have gone to USB-C.

Dec 14, 2021 6:19 PM in response to lobsterghost1

lobsterghost1 wrote:
Even if USB A is capable of more, it won't be in practice as the world is moving over to USB C and I'm honestly glad it is.

I get that. However, I was just getting at the assertion that USB-A can't do it. It's capable of more but it's just more like a lot of things that were modified to just extract more and more with physical compatibility, even if a clean sheet would clearly be better.

I would guess that the majority of new iPhones are still being charged with USB-A power adapters and USB-A to Lightning cables. It's good enough for most users.

Dec 14, 2021 6:26 PM in response to y_p_w

You're probably right a lot of iPhones are still being charged the last century way. I moved to Wireless with iPhone X and have now moved on to MagSafe. I wouldn't go back if you paid me. I can't honestly remember the last time I actually had a lightning cable plugged into an iPhone. And I moved over to iPad Pro in 2018, which came with USB C. I still have to plug a USB C cord in to charge my iPad. Though I more often use the input in my Magic Keyboard to charge my iPad and I rarely if ever use the USB C port in the iPad itself.

Dec 15, 2021 11:54 AM in response to hani07

hani07 wrote:
Exactly. I am doing that (Using USB-A adapter for new phones). It's good enough for charging.

There's nothing wrong with that. There's a huge infrastructure out there with lots of inexpensive MiFi (Apple authorized) USB-A to Lightning cables and USB-A power adapters. It's good enough even though it doesn't have the marginally faster charging. And even then a 2.1A power adapter is going to be pretty close. But others are using wireless charging now.

Most users won't even notice if they charge overnight and/or recharge well before the battery runs down. Overnight is long enough to charge any battery and at greater than 70% full it's not going to charge any faster than what a 5W power adapter can supply. But it is nice when you're in a hurry. I gave my wife an 10W iPad power adapter for her phone and she noticed it was charging a lot faster.

iPhone 13 charging cable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.