Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to prevent child from deleting text messages in family sharing?

Is there a way to prevent my child from deleting texts messages on his phone? His phone is set up with family sharing, but I can’t find a setting to prevent him from deleting his text messages. I want to be able to read his text messages, if necessary.

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 6:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2022 10:46 PM

Agreed: this is the safety feature that is beyond needed. Thankfully my child took screenshots of text messages that she received from someone claiming to be “grand master” and the subsequent conversation that I found on her phone (she had taken the screenshots to send to a friend ) because she had deleted the texts. It is not okay that children can be having these conversations and then deleting them so parents cannot monitor them.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2022 10:46 PM in response to marshallweil

Agreed: this is the safety feature that is beyond needed. Thankfully my child took screenshots of text messages that she received from someone claiming to be “grand master” and the subsequent conversation that I found on her phone (she had taken the screenshots to send to a friend ) because she had deleted the texts. It is not okay that children can be having these conversations and then deleting them so parents cannot monitor them.

Mar 21, 2022 11:01 AM in response to The_Apple_Gapple

There are MANY reasons besides dealing drugs that having an eye on the conversations would be a helpful parenting tool. As kids are learning how to behave in the world and communicate with others, knowing the types of conversations they are having is super important. In my opinion, that is part of our job as a parent. It is not responsible to hand a phone to a child without teaching them how to use it appropriately.

Jun 5, 2022 11:38 AM in response to The_Apple_Gapple

This is a tactic that sexual predators use. They’ll send photos and texts and things that can be used as evidence and tell the groomed minor to delete them.

then you have school shooters, cyber bullying—There’s a lot of literal physical safety issues that warrant the keeping of receipts.

we’re also not talking about 17 year olds exclusively. Kids as young as 10 for necessary reasons may have cellphones. That is like a portal into madness when kids don’t have the developmental capacity to gauge this type of safety. It’s not as cut and dried as looking both ways when crossing a street.

i actually have no desire to read my kids texts actively, 99% of the time it’s inane and kids are entitled to have a level of privacy commensurate with age, but I do need to keep them safe and making just so that they can’t delete their texts in the event there is a suspected problem.

Mar 21, 2022 12:36 PM in response to The_Apple_Gapple

I have no intention of reading every message. But if a child is deleting text messages, there is a reason why. They are deleting it so it can’t be seen. That is concerning as a parent. Our conversations regarding phone/text and internet use are that if you wouldn’t want it to be public information, it’s best not to share. In a world where lives can be flipped upside down due to a screen shot or careless response, it’s an important topic (for everyone, not just kids).

How to prevent child from deleting text messages in family sharing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.