Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

update to monterey

After updating to previous new OS I have lost various photos and videos plus the loss of iDVD, iPhoto, iMovie library, Time Machine and Dashboard. The update information never mentions that these features will be missing on the new OS.

What features can I expect to NOT get if I update from Big Sur to Monterey.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Dec 15, 2021 2:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2021 6:44 AM

I'm sure you'll get different views, but I would urge not upgrading yet. Monterey--even with the release 12.1--is causing major headaches for many. Of course, not all, and you will hear many who've had no problems at all. It may be very dependent on Intel vs. Silicon and machine characteristics and even individual machines. But many are--for example--not having a functioning Time Machine. I've used Macs for 30+ years and while there are often problems when a new OS comes out, this one seems very, very unstable. Unless it has some feature you absolutely need, or unless for some reason Big Sur isn't giving you what you need, you may wish to strongly consider waiting until Monterey isn't causing so many problems for so many users. Just my two cents. Good luck.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2021 6:44 AM in response to davidb2119

I'm sure you'll get different views, but I would urge not upgrading yet. Monterey--even with the release 12.1--is causing major headaches for many. Of course, not all, and you will hear many who've had no problems at all. It may be very dependent on Intel vs. Silicon and machine characteristics and even individual machines. But many are--for example--not having a functioning Time Machine. I've used Macs for 30+ years and while there are often problems when a new OS comes out, this one seems very, very unstable. Unless it has some feature you absolutely need, or unless for some reason Big Sur isn't giving you what you need, you may wish to strongly consider waiting until Monterey isn't causing so many problems for so many users. Just my two cents. Good luck.

Dec 15, 2021 6:39 AM in response to davidb2119

davidb2119 wrote:

After updating to previous new OS I have lost various photos and videos plus the loss of iDVD, iPhoto, iMovie library, Time Machine and Dashboard. The update information never mentions that these features will be missing on the new OS.
What features can I expect to NOT get if I update from Big Sur to Monterey.

?

You do not state what macOS that you are currently running...? So it is hard to speculate.

If it is Big Sur to Monterey I would expect no issues.

It never pays to get too far behind in the software or hardware—this only makes in more difficult facing an accumulation of outdated /deprecated apps etc.

Your example iPhoto was deprecated in 2015 and replaced by Photos.

I can say macOS Mojave 10.14 is the last OS to support 32-bit applications

32-bit app compatibility with macOS... - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208436

update to monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.