Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro unable to find SSD HD

I installed a 1Tb SSD into my mid-2012 15.4" MacBook Pro. All of a sudden, a few years after the event, the laptop failed to find the SSD. Running through the instructions on how to use the Disk Utility to recover volumes, the internal SSD was available in the list, but there were no options available. I'm assuming that is because it is an SSD, and the OS it wanted to restore was Lion, it is not compatible with Mountain Lion and no longer appears in any volume list.

This means that I cannot start the MBP from the USB drive I installed Lion onto, because it doesn't appear in the startup disks list, and now that it's saying I can install Catelina, but not on any of the drives connected as the internal SSD is not found by the system.

Does this point to a logic board or SSD issue, or is it difficult to say?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 15, 2021 4:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2021 6:03 AM

Sturay wrote:

I installed a 1Tb SSD into my mid-2012 15.4" MacBook Pro. All of a sudden, a few years after the event, the laptop failed to find the SSD. Running through the instructions on how to use the Disk Utility to recover volumes, the internal SSD was available in the list, but there were no options available. I'm assuming that is because it is an SSD, and the OS it wanted to restore was Lion, it is not compatible with Mountain Lion and no longer appears in any volume list.

This means that I cannot start the MBP from the USB drive I installed Lion onto, because it doesn't appear in the startup disks list, and now that it's saying I can install Catelina, but not on any of the drives connected as the internal SSD is not found by the system.

The mid-2012 had known failures with SATA cable...

If you have an external enclosure you can pull the drive and boot externally to test the drive itself, this will bypass the internal SATA cable as a test.

SATA replacement 15" MBP mid-2012

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/9230084#15_inch

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2021 6:03 AM in response to Sturay

Sturay wrote:

The mid-2012 had known failures with SATA cable...

If you have an external enclosure you can pull the drive and boot externally to test the drive itself, this will bypass the internal SATA cable as a test.

SATA replacement 15" MBP mid-2012

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/9230084#15_inch

MacBook Pro unable to find SSD HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.