Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After upgrade to macOS 12.1 the sound speaker become crackling and popping

Hi,

today I upgrade my mac from Big Sur(11.6.1) to Monterey (12.1),

after the upgade the speakers sound become crackling and popping,

but if I use headphone the sound is no problem.

I had done NVRAM reset but still have the same issue.

Is there any method I can do to fix this problem?

Thank you!

======

My Env:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

16GM RAM

Intel Core i5

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Dec 15, 2021 8:06 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2022 8:42 AM

Here is what fixed my issue! From different forum:

"I found going to applications->utilities->audio midi setup and changing the sample rate on Built-in Output to 48000 or 96000 worked (or at least it works now... just done it). it seems like 44100 isn't working right now. Odd as was fine on Big Sur. I'm on MacBook Pro (15", 2017) Intel, OS 12.2.1."

Crackling audio w aggregate device… | Apple Developer Forums

26 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 29, 2022 8:42 AM in response to kaikudou

Here is what fixed my issue! From different forum:

"I found going to applications->utilities->audio midi setup and changing the sample rate on Built-in Output to 48000 or 96000 worked (or at least it works now... just done it). it seems like 44100 isn't working right now. Odd as was fine on Big Sur. I'm on MacBook Pro (15", 2017) Intel, OS 12.2.1."

Crackling audio w aggregate device… | Apple Developer Forums

Mar 17, 2022 7:31 AM in response to kaikudou

Hi,

Just quick update for myself.

After I did a fresh install to version 12.3, the problem was solved.

I did a lot of testing for this issue, the only thing I didn't do was reinstall back to 11.6.1

or take to apple ask them repair the speakers (probably a hardware issue).

Hope this information helps those who are still having this problem.

Thank you!

Dec 16, 2021 9:24 AM in response to kaikudou

Hi kaikudou,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities.

We understand your Mac speakers produce a crackling sound. Restart your Mac in safe mode. This will limit the login items allowed to run while performing a health check on the startup disk. How to use safe mode on your Mac

For continued behavior, reach out to Apple directly.

Contact Apple Support

Regards.

Dec 16, 2021 12:30 PM in response to kaikudou

kaikudou,

You can create a test user or log in into another user currently on your Mac to see whether this is a system-wide issue. Run Apple Diagnostics to check the hardware. Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac.

If the behavior doesn't appear to be hardware related, backing up your Mac and reinstalling macOS would be a good idea. How to reinstall macOS

Warm Regards.

Mar 6, 2022 8:55 AM in response to kaikudou

Quick update for myself,

I finally find time to reinstall my mac (fresh intall from install usb).

So even though I had a fresh install of macOS 12.2.1, the problem still happened.

(I haven't test fresh install 11.6.1 yet.......too busy.)

Probably still need to wait new version 12.2.2 or 12.3.0 or .....etc from Apple.

But honestly, I don't expect much anymore

Same discussion from developer forums

How to Fix Cracking and Popping So… | Apple Developer Forums

Dec 16, 2021 12:04 PM in response to barberlives123

Hi barberlives123,

Thanks for the update on the issue.

I had done reboot in safe mode before after I reset the NVRAM, but still the problem still exist.

Do you think my speaker is a physical failure, not a bug caused by the OS upgrade?

Or do I have to wait for the next version of the OS to be revised (Driver issue)?

Or I need to reinstall the the OS back to 11.6.1 ?

Thanks you!

Feb 26, 2022 2:43 AM in response to robdehoog

I have been also facing a crackling sound issue since Monterey 12.2.1 (MacBook Pro 16 inch, 2019).

Since the update, even the start-up sound has been crackling on the right speaker. Also, my AirPods are crackling on the right side only when working with the mac.

I can not work properly for weeks now, and I can not enjoy simple things like YouTube, Spotify, Netflix.

Is there any update coming or some understanding of the problem on the Apple side?

Resetting SMC and NVRAM did not fix it.

After upgrade to macOS 12.1 the sound speaker become crackling and popping

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.