Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

music.app not finding my local music library

I've had a music library on my mac since the earliest version of iTunes. I keep my entire library locally on an external drive and don't use iCloud or match or any sort of sharing. I took my laptop on a trip and while away, never had cause to hook up my music drive and start the music app.

Now that I'm back home, I've hooked my drive back up, and I can see that all of the files are as they should be, but the music app insists that my library is empty and sees none of my playlists, played data or songs.

How do I fix this?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Dec 15, 2021 12:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 1:13 AM

Try to tell again Music app where your library is located.

Follow this Apple's guide to choose a music library while launching Music app:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210230

Similar questions

3 replies

Dec 17, 2021 1:04 PM in response to Marco Klobas

I already tried this and it did not work. In a rather strange manner. My music library is on an external drive, /Volumes/Musico/Music. However, music.app was showing this as /Musico/Music, which is not a valid path. If I set it to /Volumes/Musico/Music and click the "change" button, it would switch back to /Musico/Music and still not find anything.

I have ultimately solved the problem. Restoring both my Music Library.musicLibrary file and ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Music.plist from backup did the trick.

music.app not finding my local music library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.