Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Ejects All DVDs, CDs

Two months ago, my mid-2014 15" MacBook Pro Retina running Catalina stopped reading all discs inserted into my Superdrive. I bought a new one, thinking was a hardware problem. The issue remained. I have since upgraded to a 16" M1Pro MacBook Pro running Monterey and still the problem persists. When the Superdrive is plugged in, I can see it in System Information // Hardware // Disc Burning. When I insert disks -- no matter what disk or type of disk, purchased CDs, purchased DVDs, blank CD-Rs... -- the drive whirrs for a bit, then spits the disk out. Strikes me, thus, as some sort of software conflict? Any ideas or suggestions welcome.

Posted on Dec 15, 2021 12:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2021 12:51 PM

Boot to Safe Mode. That boot up takes minutes and clears caches and other things like many things do not load and thus will help determine if software conflict and may resolve your problem.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Can you test the drive on another computer?

Are you connecting it directly to the Mac?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2021 12:51 PM in response to buildings74

Boot to Safe Mode. That boot up takes minutes and clears caches and other things like many things do not load and thus will help determine if software conflict and may resolve your problem.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Can you test the drive on another computer?

Are you connecting it directly to the Mac?

Dec 16, 2021 11:42 AM in response to lllaass

I had tested the drive on other Macs and was/am connecting directly to the computer (rather than a hub). I also had booted my old computer, the Intel MBP, where the problem began, in Safe Mode and the problem persisted. But I've just done it again on the current M1Pro MBP and it worked! The computer recognized, rather than spit out, discs in Safe Mode. And continues to so after rebooting normally. Thank you!

MacOS Ejects All DVDs, CDs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.