Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod 15.2 Breaks Location Services

After upgrading my four HomePods to 15.2 location services no longer work. If I ask Siri what the weather is, she'll say "weather for where?" Location services are turned on for every HomePod. Location services are turned on in General settings, and turned on for HomeKit and the Home App. Location services are turned on in AppleTV. I have restarted my router and every device. I have reset network settings and location and privacy settings on every device. The problem persists. If I ask Siri where I am she says "First you have to tell me where you are." She instructs me to turn on location services in the home settings of the home app, but there is no location services switch there.

Every time the OS is updated something breaks. It's incredibly frustrating.

HomePod, 15

Posted on Dec 15, 2021 3:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 7:11 AM

Finally figured it out!

What you need to do is update your iOS to 15.2

Once you do so, open the home app and you will get a pop up asking to enable location services for HomePod. You will also get the missing location services toggle in the home app.

Sources:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomePodMini/comments/rghdmb/updated_to_152_and_now_siri_has_forgotten_where/

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Similar questions

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2021 7:11 AM in response to spurn555

Finally figured it out!

What you need to do is update your iOS to 15.2

Once you do so, open the home app and you will get a pop up asking to enable location services for HomePod. You will also get the missing location services toggle in the home app.

Sources:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomePodMini/comments/rghdmb/updated_to_152_and_now_siri_has_forgotten_where/

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Dec 15, 2021 8:45 PM in response to spurn555

I’m having the same problem. After my 3 HomePods updated last night, they don’t seem to know where they are. I’ve reset, restarted, turned the ‘Location Services’ button on and off several times. It did work momentarily after I reset it, but as soon as it configured itself, Siri started asking where I wanted the weather conditions for again.

Dec 16, 2021 8:30 AM in response to spurn555

I woke up to the same problem. I did, however, find location services for HomePods in the Home app on my iPhone. Long press the icon for the HomePod. It will bring up a playback window. There is a gear icon at the bottom right corner. Press it and then scroll down to find Location services. I found that this problem has happened to others in the past and one fix was to turn location services off for ten seconds then turn it back on. That hasn't worked for me. I have restarted all of my HomePods through the Home app. That didn't fix it. I also restarted one by unplugging it and then plugging it back in. No help. My iPhone and Mac know where they are (tested that by bringing up Maps) so location services are working on them. I haven't rebooted my modem and router yet because, since the iPhone and Mac know their location, it most likely won't help. I will try that too later. I also updated my iPhone to iOS 15.2. That didn't help either. I have multiple HomePods, a mix of first generation and minis. HomePod OS 15.2 broke location services on all of them.

Dec 16, 2021 8:36 AM in response to Greggdb

Okay. This is weird. I opened up the Home app to try updating my HomePods to 15.2 (even though they already show 15.2) and a dialog box was showing asking me if I wanted to turn on Location Services for all of my HomePods. Of course I did. I clicked the button and voila! I can ask for the temperature again. I've only tested that on one HomePod so far but I'm assuming that fixed the problem on all of them.

Dec 28, 2021 5:59 AM in response to Omar.hr

I’m in the same boat as Suzanne. All my devices are running 15.2, I’ve unplugged, used “restart” in Home App, toggled location services on/off, toggled personal requests on/off and nothing helps. The best I can get is that HomePod will IMMEDIATELY recognize my location after performing one of the steps above but quickly LOSES that location after a few minutes, returning the same “I can’t seem to find your location” message.

Had a call with Apple support, they viewed all my settings, could find nothing amiss, basically telling me perhaps the next software update would fix.

if anyone has any ideas, I sure would love to hear them. Thanks

Jan 3, 2022 7:03 AM in response to suzanne from TX

Have an update. A couple of days ago I noticed Security/privacy WARNING on my iPhone’s WiFi connection. Oddly, none of my other iOS devices displayed this warning. Nevertheless I went online using my Router’s UID/PW, changed Router’s security settings, checked firmware, forced a reboot and when I checked my iPhone’s WiFi connection, the warning had disappeared.

Interestingly, the HomePod/Siri problem had also disappeared. HomePod/Siri is once again able to determine my location. It’s been that way for a couple of days now. Not sure if the two items are related but I'm posting because hopefully this might help others,

HomePod 15.2 Breaks Location Services

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.