Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I access locked notes if I forgot my password

iPhone XS Max, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 15, 2021 6:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2021 6:51 PM

there is not a way to recover locked notes. If you want to access your locked notes, you need to remember the password that they were locked with.

You can reset your locked notes password for future locked notes, but that will not unlock your previously locked notes

How to lock notes on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

I believe you can guess the password as many times as you like.. so try your commonly used passwords.

If you set up a password hint when you created the password, that should show after a couple of failed attempts.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2021 6:51 PM in response to helpmepls112

there is not a way to recover locked notes. If you want to access your locked notes, you need to remember the password that they were locked with.

You can reset your locked notes password for future locked notes, but that will not unlock your previously locked notes

How to lock notes on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

I believe you can guess the password as many times as you like.. so try your commonly used passwords.

If you set up a password hint when you created the password, that should show after a couple of failed attempts.

Dec 25, 2021 3:37 PM in response to Doerr13

You've got it backwards.. the only way to lock notes at all is by first setting a password. They also give you a field to put a password hint.

Then and only then can you configure it to unlock a note using Face ID or Touch ID, as a matter of convenience. But the password is still always there behind the scenes. Using Face ID or Touch ID does not and never has replaced the password.

This is no different than accessing your iPhone. You may be able to unlock your iPhone using Touch ID/Face ID, but there are situations where you need to enter your passcode to unlock the phone and enable the use of biometrics. If you forget your iPhone passcode, then you will lose whatever is on your iPhone that's not backed up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.