Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Photos not sorting in chronological order

I have recently imported some vacation photos from my iPhone, my own camera and another camera. All in the same time zone. Using Info, all the photos show the correct date and time. But the photos in Library are NOT displayed in the correct chronological order according to the Info Date & Time on each image. Even if I use the Image / Change Date function to change a time, the image stays in the same incorrect position relative to the other images take at or around the same time. I am using a 2018 Mac mini with Monterey 12.0.1. Can anyone help please?

Mac mini, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 4:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 5:14 AM

In which album are you viewing the photos? In "All Photos" the photos should be sorted by the capture time, but in Recents or Imports by the date the photo has been added.

To compare the dates of two photos, it does not suffice to to compare the date in the Info, look also at the timezone assigned to the photo. Photos is showing the timezone assigned to the photo only at the bottom of the "Image > Adjust Date and Time" panel.

When you import from different cameras at different times, Photos may set the timezones of the imported photos differently, depending on where you are, when you import the photos and whether the photos are having GPS assigned or not. (How Photos Handles Time Zones when Importing Photos in Photos 5 on Catalina - Apple Community)

• When you import photos with GPS tags, photos will use the timezone of the GPS location.
  • If a photo has no GPS tags, Photos will use the timezone of the current system time zone of your Mac.

When Photos appear to be incorrectly sorted, I am changing the medium time format in the System Preferences, so Photos will show the time zone in the Info of a photo. How to display the Date and Time Zone in the Info in Photos in Catalina.

This way I can see directly, if tow photos have been assigned to the same time zone, or the time zone needs adjusting.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2021 5:14 AM in response to pederton

In which album are you viewing the photos? In "All Photos" the photos should be sorted by the capture time, but in Recents or Imports by the date the photo has been added.

To compare the dates of two photos, it does not suffice to to compare the date in the Info, look also at the timezone assigned to the photo. Photos is showing the timezone assigned to the photo only at the bottom of the "Image > Adjust Date and Time" panel.

When you import from different cameras at different times, Photos may set the timezones of the imported photos differently, depending on where you are, when you import the photos and whether the photos are having GPS assigned or not. (How Photos Handles Time Zones when Importing Photos in Photos 5 on Catalina - Apple Community)

• When you import photos with GPS tags, photos will use the timezone of the GPS location.
  • If a photo has no GPS tags, Photos will use the timezone of the current system time zone of your Mac.

When Photos appear to be incorrectly sorted, I am changing the medium time format in the System Preferences, so Photos will show the time zone in the Info of a photo. How to display the Date and Time Zone in the Info in Photos in Catalina.

This way I can see directly, if tow photos have been assigned to the same time zone, or the time zone needs adjusting.

Dec 27, 2021 8:20 AM in response to léonie

All photos are viewed in Photos / Library / All Photos. According to Info, the time stamps are minutes apart, yet the most recent is shown second. On checking using Image / Adjust Date and Time, both images have the same Time Zone: Greenwich Mean Time, BUT whereas the image take with an iPhone (ie GPS Time Stamp) shows the correct time, the other image taken with a Panasonic (ie no GPS) the Mac has added an extra hour! How bizarre is that? I have yet to fathom out why this is, but thanks very much for taking the trouble to reply and pointing me in the right direction, you are a genius! Unlike the good people at Apple who evidently have little interest in how their software works in the real world. Thanks again.

Mac Photos not sorting in chronological order

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.