Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete e-mail in bulk rather than individually?

Hello,
I just got an iPhone 4 and am trying to figure things out. My question is about the mail program. I have several e-mail accounts and they are all connected and working fine, but the problem is that I receive a large amount of e-mail, and sometimes after looking at them I just want to delete them all at once.
I know that if I press the "edit" button, I can then highlight the little circles to the left of the e-mails, and then when I press the "delete" button the selected e-mails will be deleted. But, is there a way to delete emails in bulk? Like a "delete all" button? On my computer I can do this, but I can't figure a way to do this on the iPhone.

Any help would be appreciated,

Lincoln

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Posted on Aug 6, 2010 9:42 AM

5 replies

Aug 6, 2010 9:45 AM in response to Lincoln Nymeyer

In a word, no.

If the account is an IMAP account, you can do bulk deleting with the email client used on your computer for accessing the account which will be reflected automatically when accessing the account with the iPhone's Mail app since all server stored mailboxes with an IMAP account are kept synchronized with the server with each email client used to access the account. The same is not possible with a POP account.

Aug 6, 2010 1:24 PM in response to Lincoln Nymeyer

Varying on server permissions, you can visit your server mail's setup and change Junk Filter to delete all Bulk Mail:
* Open your server mail
* Access your Account Info and visit the Mail Options
* Visit the Junk Management section
* Create a filter that's based on the keywords you hate (sex, drugs, etc)
* Tell it to delete right away

Message was edited by: Joe Z in VA

Aug 6, 2010 2:04 PM in response to Lincoln Nymeyer

I painfully and tediously unsubscribed from virtually every thing I could. If it is a reputable marketing service sending you emails, they will allow you to opt out. You can do this either on the iPad/iphone or from your computer.

Then I (more pain and tedium) filtered out the junk that was left. I went from literally hundreds of junk emails a day to two or three. This you have to do from your pc/Mac, or at least from the web interface of your mail service, not from the mail app on the iPad/iPhone.

This is not a one time event, it requires you either filter or unsubscribe from one thing or another every couple of days. But it is worth it to have an email inbox that has just mail in it and not junk, junk, junk.

How to delete e-mail in bulk rather than individually?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.