Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone SE 2 won't update...

My iPhone SE (version 2) won't install the latest update - it just gives me the "can’t reach the server" error. I have tried:

1. Restarting it. Nothing.
  2. Tried the recommendations on the "If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch won’t update" page:
  3. Tried the very helpful suggestion of "Try updating your device again using the same network." 🙄 Nothing.
  4. I don't have a different network to try so I tried it on cellular. Nothing.
  5. Tried updating it via my MacBook Air but after downloading and trying to install the update, I get a not enough free hard drive space error message. I "only" have ~40GB of free on the Mac and apparently this isn't enough? (The phone has about 68GB free.)

Short of totally wiping my Mac and turning it into an iPhone updating device, I really can't free up any space on my hard drive. It's already super optimized and the majority of the space is taken up by the OS (that is 55GB) vs 24GB of my stuff.

So what are my options?

iPhone SE, iOS 13

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 9:02 AM

1 reply

Dec 17, 2021 3:34 PM in response to emma7145

Greetings, emma7145.

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. We can understand why you’d want to update your iOS. 

We see that you complete3d these steps: If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch won’t update 

Since the issue continues, please work through these steps: If you can't update or restore your iPhone or iPod touch

We hope this helps! Thanks for being a part of the community.

Sincerely.

iPhone SE 2 won't update...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.