Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External SSD (USB C) extremely slow performance into M1 Max 16 inch directly through TB4

Hey guys,

I don't know if this is a Monterey or MacBook Pro issue, but the external SSD speed when actually using it is agonisingly slow. For example, a virtual instrument which took less than a minute to load on my ancient 5.1 Mac Pro from 2009 on a drive with slower to equal speeds is taking many minutes on this shiny new Macbook Pro through a much faster cable/plug. This SSD is no slowpoke either, with speeds of up to 1000MB/s and 1050MB/s in read/write. I spent a lot of money on them so this is really annoying me.

I don't understand what is going on. Benchmarks with Blackmagic are looking very fast, but any actual use for them is hugely slow.

Has anyone else had this experience? It's worrying and I pray this is a Monterey issue and not a Mac one.

Thanks

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 9:44 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Dec 16, 2021 2:06 PM in response to Baalruns

There are many parts to this, so it may take a little time to work through.

First off, to clarify, is this the same SSD you're using on both Macs? and it's connected the same way? (even to the point of using the same cable?

Is the SSD directly attached to the MacBook Pro? or through some hub or other device? That can make a difference.

Also look at the device connection in About This Mac -> System Report. Look for any difference between their descriptions.

External SSD (USB C) extremely slow performance into M1 Max 16 inch directly through TB4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.