Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My external hard drive won't mount, Monterey

And there's no more drive utility? What do I do?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 10:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 1:46 PM

yes. formatted for apple. I was going to try mounting it using disk utility when it didn't show up when connected. I finally tried plugging it into a lightning port rather than a USB hub and that worked!

9 replies

Dec 16, 2021 10:49 AM in response to Holloway House Productions

What do you mean by "no more drive utility"?

Disk Utility is a built-in function of the OS and applies to all drives, not a single drive.

You use Disk Utility to erase a drive and thereby format it with an Apple format; many drives come with a Windows format. The Apple format is necessary for your Mac to be able to mount and use the drive.

Jan 2, 2022 8:40 AM in response to Holloway House Productions

My Toshiba 1 TB external hard drive is properly formatted. I have been using it for backup with my Mac Mini for years without issues. I recently switched to a new third gen Mac Mini with the M1 chip, connected the hard drive, successfully transferred data to the new computer, set up Time Machine backup to the hard drive. After a single successful backup, the Time Machine failed, indicating that the hard drive was unmounted. I tried unmounting and remounting, with no effect. I then physically disconnected the hard drive, and checked all connections with the cable and adapter. I then reconnected and remounted; but the computer refuses to recognize the hard drive, even though it shows the contents of the hard drive. I cannot back up to the hard drive, and pretty sure I could not restore from it, if that became necessary. I tried rebooting in safe mode, with no effect. Should I assume the hard drive is corrupted or simply broken, and purchase another? I can't afford to mess around with troubleshooting, when I need backups.

Jan 12, 2022 9:32 AM in response to Holloway House Productions

I just got a macbook Pro m1 with Monterey. Now my external drives take about 5 min. to mount. Then, each time I open a new folder (directory) I have to wait another 5 min. to see the documents inside. This is connected through the USB C port. USB thumb drives connected though a hub don't ever mount and attempting to open Disk Utility to mount the USB drive lock up the finder and I have to restart the computer entirely.

The is a very serious screw up as we all have data on external sources that we need to use. This problem has been going on for months it seems. After 30 years, I'm wondering if it is a mistake to continue with Apple.

Feb 6, 2022 8:16 AM in response to Holloway House Productions

I have ordered two different hard drives for my new MacBook Air and neither of them are being recognized by my machine. I am not sure what to do since I am a basic user. I have gone to the Disk Utility function and I do not see the drive listed. Not sure where to go from there when I can't even see the disk thus the workarounds listed are not helpful at all.

My external hard drive won't mount, Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.