Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external hard drives

what's the best external hard drive that's not too complicated to set up?

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 12:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2021 1:19 PM

Regardless of what drive you purchase if it comes with software on it do not install or run the software. Just erase the drive and format it as APFS or MAC OSX Extended.

I agree with Redbrickman on the OWC drives. They have many different modules which are very reliable. If you need the drive for Time Machine then these are excellent choices: OWC Mercury Elite Pro with USB 3.2 or OWC Mercury Elite Pro with USB 3.1 Gen 1 + eSATA + FW800 depending on the age and model of Mac you have.

For your model contact OWC's customer support and get their recommendation for the drive model that would best suit your iMac model and needs.  They may have additional models other than those I've shown above.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2021 1:19 PM in response to susmau18

Regardless of what drive you purchase if it comes with software on it do not install or run the software. Just erase the drive and format it as APFS or MAC OSX Extended.

I agree with Redbrickman on the OWC drives. They have many different modules which are very reliable. If you need the drive for Time Machine then these are excellent choices: OWC Mercury Elite Pro with USB 3.2 or OWC Mercury Elite Pro with USB 3.1 Gen 1 + eSATA + FW800 depending on the age and model of Mac you have.

For your model contact OWC's customer support and get their recommendation for the drive model that would best suit your iMac model and needs.  They may have additional models other than those I've shown above.

Dec 17, 2021 9:51 AM in response to susmau18

I have some additional comments. These days, most external drives are compact, reasonably priced, easy to install with vendor provided USB cables and most do not require external power. The solid state drives (SSDs) are very fast but the conventional HDs are cheaper. I have had good service using the newer LaCie drives, but there are plenty of other fine drives out there.

Dec 18, 2021 12:01 PM in response to Ronasara

Personally I recommend you avoid the Sandisk Extreme Pro V2 SSD drives. I have had nothing but problems with it and the fastest speed on a new iMac 24 has been 780 Mb/sec, but they are supposedly capable of 2000 Mb/sec. I was advised in this communtiy to consider the OWC Envoy Pro SX and although it is a Thunderbird only drive the reviews on it are solid with fast speeds.

external hard drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.