Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do you download iMovie for Catalina 10.15.17? thx!

how, again, do you download iMovie for Catalina 10.15.17?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2022 11:46 AM

HOW FOOLISH OF APPLE.

Now all the projects that i did on imovie are rendered useless and all the projects that i have in pipeline are gone for a toss. And they should have given an alternate app to imovie, if not imove....instead of killing the entire apple concept of imovie....These guys are increasing the price of apply everyday but remove all the that apple is known for and simply making money off of steve jobs back and giving nothing to the customer in return.

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2022 11:46 AM in response to Rich839

HOW FOOLISH OF APPLE.

Now all the projects that i did on imovie are rendered useless and all the projects that i have in pipeline are gone for a toss. And they should have given an alternate app to imovie, if not imove....instead of killing the entire apple concept of imovie....These guys are increasing the price of apply everyday but remove all the that apple is known for and simply making money off of steve jobs back and giving nothing to the customer in return.

Dec 16, 2021 2:01 PM in response to golfmutt

Sign in at the app store and click on Updates in the app store screen side bar.

You won't be able to download the current iMovie version, as that would require Monterey, I;m pretty sure. So you would need to upgrade to Monterey first. If you cannot upgrade to Monterey, try this procedure to obtain the highest iMovie version that Catalina can run. :

To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the

trash. (You can skip that step if you had iMovie 10 on your computer before, but deleted it.) Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash (if you moved it there) and return it to the Applications folder.

-- Rich

Feb 25, 2022 12:49 AM in response to Rich839

Thanks Rich for your answer.

There is however a trick in this process.....

Went to the AppStore logged with my credentials but I didn't find iMovie il my purchases....

Went back to my AppStore Account and went to "Show Infos" page

There I discovered an item called "Hidden items" with a link "Manage"

Clicked the link, discovered that iMOvie was hidden and clicked a button "Show"

And iMovie appeared in my Purchases page so I could follow the end of your process.

Mar 31, 2022 9:10 AM in response to Rich839

I never had iMovie on my Mac which is running Catalina 10.15.7. When I download iMovie 9.09 and the try to install the package, it says iMovie 9.0 is required to install this update. How do I get around this and get a version of iMovie for Cataina? I know I should upgrade to Monterey, but space is limited now.

Thank you fro a reply

Mar 28, 2022 2:14 PM in response to Rich839

okay when i try to launch imovie, it says "The version of iMovie installed on this Mac is not compatible with macOS Catalina. Download the latest version from the App Store." it takes me to app store, no updates on imovie are pending...i trashed imovie as u directed and tried to redownload - that options does not exist.

is there anything else we can do?

Also, i guess, , one should suggest a troubleshooting step only if they hv the equipments to test and have resolved the problem with the steps suggested in real world scenario.

The forum is discussion.aple.com so, my questions are directed to apple not to anyone personally.

Jun 29, 2022 8:40 AM in response to Rich839

hello

right now I have MacBook Pro mid 2012 and have macOS Catalina 10.15

I wanna install iMovie but I can't cuz it want Macis 11 or later which is impossible on my Macbook

I haven't installed iMovie earlier so I can't find it in purchased nd I can't copy from any other Mac

I am very desperate and anxious and I'm wanting to cry

can u help me with som link or something which can help me to download iMovie 10

plz

Feb 4, 2022 8:44 AM in response to Papacharlie01

You would need to upgrade to Monterey to get the current iMovie 10 version. Or, if you don't have iMovie installed but sometime in the past it had been on your Mac but perhaps got deleted, then you can use the procedure described earlier in this thread. Otherwise, unfortunately, you will not be able to get iMovie 10 -- unless you can copy it over from another Mac. There probably are some unauthorized non-Apple sites where you could obtain an iMovie 10 download, but for safety reasons those are not recommended.

-- Rich

Mar 28, 2022 12:33 PM in response to Rich839

I think that’s a response in this context.

So why do you want me to start a new cycle every time and then get lost in the useless discussions with no conclusions after everything is said and done.

I upgraded from Mojave which was quite good already, now do you think your solution is really a solution Rich? Can you help me re-download it successfully in Catalina again? Thats all I want instead of wasting time chit chatting on a new forums

Sorry for blurting my anger on you, but this should never have happened, shutting iMovie down

I just want my imovie back, I can’t afford to buy the so called paid softwares after paying hefty money for the Mac itself…I hope you can understand and help.

I trashed move like you said but now I have a stop button when I bring the trashed move back, wow. So was that actually your agenda to kick us out of an option to even launch iMovie in anyway.

Please resolve this problem and give a final solution please that really works

Thanks

Mar 28, 2022 1:30 PM in response to paulvudr

O.K. It is understandable for one to be frustrated when one's software doesn't work. But you are emanating a lot of hostility that is unwarranted and misdirected.

First of all, I and the great majority of the posters here are consumer users of iMovie just like yourself. We are not Apple software designers or techs. We try to pass along tips and comments from our experience that might help fix issues. I posted above one method of obtaining an updated iMovie app, that others have used with success. I have no idea why it did not work for you.

However, we have no testing equipment, or hands-on capability with one's computer, or any magic wand or capability of resolving design software glitches or to cure problems that may exist with any specific person's setup or procedures.

Secondly, nobody has any "agenda" to deprive you of iMovie. Apple wants you to have iMovie and thousands of users who have updated from Mojave to Catalina and later are using iMovie just fine. iMovie is not part of the operating system so upgrading to a new OS should not cause loss of iMovie projects. The projects and media remain in your iMovie Library, You need to download an updated version of iMovie that will access the library and all should be good.

I cannot determine why you are having trouble because you haven't provided any details that would help. You might benefit from contacting Apple Support and having the techs there walk you through getting a functioning iMovie. They have the capability of remotely accessing your computer that we cannot do here. That will avoid the "chit chat" that you don't want from an electronic forum such as this one. for which you have expressed dislike.

Click on the Get Support item in the upper right hand corner of this forum's screen. Navigate to a place where you can enter your telephone number. Orally speak with the techs there. If the Support techs cannot help you then you are not likely to get any answers here.

Good luck with resolving your software issues. Other than what I have posted above, I don't have any more ideas of what might help you.

-- Rich

Jun 13, 2022 5:21 PM in response to paulvudr

The download procedure has been recommended by Apple numerous times on this forum. Numerous people on this forum have confirmed that it works. So it has been thoroughly tested.

If you need a tech to have remote access to your computer to address your specific situation on your setup you can contact Apple support, as the techs there have remote access capability. This forum is a consumer forum, so obviously we have no testing equipment any more than you would have.

— Rich

how do you download iMovie for Catalina 10.15.17? thx!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.