Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My progress bar gets about 2/3 finished and then the computer shuts down. Is there a way to get past the progress bar

My progress bar gets about half way finished and then my computer shuts down. Is there a way to get past the progress bar.

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 4:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 7:32 PM

And question(s) remain, at least to me; if you were in process of an upgrade to newer macOS.

..And if your Mac is 'intel-based' or 'Apple silicon.'

There are several times where the installers will stall-out for undetermined times; as that's

what they can and often do. So if you were attempting to perform an upgrade or re-install

this symptom would be natural; should be expected. (as reference article attests)

..If Mac cannot start to Internet Recovery or other recovery means ~ then its off to Service.

[The M1 Apple silicon macOS Recovery article has uniquely different paths to use that one.]

While that's said, my impression is those were not unknowns.. The next steps, may

be to contact a store Genius; or an authorized service provider, if that's an older Mac.

As the reference article says in last line: 'please contact Apple Support.'

Sorry to have few answers; almost everything here involves troubleshooting questions.

Take care & safe travels! ☺︎

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2021 7:32 PM in response to Pagebooth

And question(s) remain, at least to me; if you were in process of an upgrade to newer macOS.

..And if your Mac is 'intel-based' or 'Apple silicon.'

There are several times where the installers will stall-out for undetermined times; as that's

what they can and often do. So if you were attempting to perform an upgrade or re-install

this symptom would be natural; should be expected. (as reference article attests)

..If Mac cannot start to Internet Recovery or other recovery means ~ then its off to Service.

[The M1 Apple silicon macOS Recovery article has uniquely different paths to use that one.]

While that's said, my impression is those were not unknowns.. The next steps, may

be to contact a store Genius; or an authorized service provider, if that's an older Mac.

As the reference article says in last line: 'please contact Apple Support.'

Sorry to have few answers; almost everything here involves troubleshooting questions.

Take care & safe travels! ☺︎

Dec 16, 2021 6:50 PM in response to Pagebooth

Not certain if you followed the instructions in the Reference article.

Some details may seem blurred or hard to distinguish. Other ideas:

Have you tried to see if your Mac boots further by use of Safe mode?

• How to use Safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Instructions may help; and let the Mac sit awhile after you've started

up into Safe mode. Maybe 20 minutes or so. (BTW: It doesn't just sit.)

[You may also try to use macOS Recovery. There are two different

versions one for Intel-based Macs. Other is for Apple silicon M1.]

Both separate instruction links are also within the following article.

• Intro to macOS Recovery - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/intro-to-macos-recovery-mchl46d531d6/mac

Good luck & happy trails! ☺︎

Dec 17, 2021 2:04 AM in response to Pagebooth

Follow along with per previous posting thought to add, if the Internal Drive has run about to Empty Space and or the computer has issued an Alert saying the computer is running low on empty Space - That is what may have happened.

Had this occurred and the use has not or did not Resolve the lack of Empty Space - the computer may cease to be able to boot up at all. This would seem possible judging from the description presented earlier.

Then, this would be required to salvage your personal data Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode

My progress bar gets about 2/3 finished and then the computer shuts down. Is there a way to get past the progress bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.