Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Portrait Mode when editing in Photos

I'm editing a photo taken in portrait mode on my iPhone 13 Mini and I'm following the instructions on this Apple page: https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/photos/phta3a9f5c61/6.0/mac/11.0

I've set the drop-down at the top of the page to macOS Big Sur and it says:

Select a lighting effect.

If the lighting effects appear dimmed, click Portrait under the photo to turn them on.

In Photos 6.0 on my MacBook Pro running macOS 11.6.1 the photo shows "PORTRAIT" in the top left corner, but in edit mode, with "Adjust" selected, the photo has only the same editing options as a non-portrait photo. There is nowhere to choose a lighting effect and "Portrait" does not appear under the photo.

What am I missing?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 6:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2021 12:16 AM

How are you transferring the images from to your mac. Some transfer methods (eg photostream) won't correctly transfer the portrait mode information.

I use iCloud and that works fine - I'm not sure which of the other methods also work.

Similar questions

2 replies

Dec 17, 2021 3:10 AM in response to TonyCollinet

I'm not sure how "Solved" got applied to this reply. I didn't apply it. I've transferred photos via iCloud and also directly via USB and, to be clear, the photo shows "Portrait" in Photos on the Mac, i.e. the transfer process hasn't stripped the depth map. There's just no Portrait option when editing.

You say it works for you. Can you confirm your photos were taken on some model of an iPhone 13?

Thanks,

Steve = : ^

No Portrait Mode when editing in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.