You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disabling multitasking on iPad & iPhone

Ipad Air2 & iPhone 8 does not have Multitasking option under General in settings to toggle off side panel/sidebar when reading magazines or any General reading. I want to be able to disable that sidebar/side panel option. This feature kicked in after upgrade to OS 15. 15.2 didn’t solve problem I have. How can I do that?

Posted on Dec 17, 2021 9:06 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 5:32 PM

Not being able to turn multitasking off is awful! It's not true that I can "just not use it". It happens on its own. It's extremely confusing, annoying, and buggy. It's an insult that Apple's designers decided to remove the ability to disable it.

5 replies

Dec 17, 2021 9:21 AM in response to mssaintpa

Multitasking is a feature of iPadOS for iPad - and is not an element of iOS for iPhone. Sidebars are feature of some Apps designed for both iPad and iPhone.

Unlike iPadOS14 and earlier versions, multi-tasking cannot now be disabled from settings. Multi-tasking has received a significant overhaul, both simplifying its use and introducing new controls. Whilst multitasking cannot be disabled at the OS level, you are not obliged to use any of its features.

Key to accessing and controlling multi-tasking is the small “three-dot” button that is found at the top-centre edge of the screen.

More information about using multi-tasking can be found in this support page:

Use multitasking on your iPad - Apple Support

The iPad User Guide is also a rich source of information about using iPad and its many features. The Guide is available both online using a web browser (such as Safari), or as an Apple Books download:

iPad User Guide - Apple Support

https://books.apple.com/book/id1567104892

Dec 25, 2021 7:46 AM in response to Kasideas

Kasideas wrote:

ABSOLUTELY AGREE WITH WIND ROCK !!!!!!!! the side window is continuously activated at very annoying and maddenly in appropriate times. AGREE IT IS A TOTAL INSULT—NOT TO MENTION ALSO MY HOME SCREEN BEING BUTCHERED !!!!!

This is a user to user support forum and Apple does not participate here. If you wish to provide feedback to Apple regarding a change you would like to see, a change you didn’t like, or report a bug, then use the feedback link here, Feedback - iPad - Apple

Disabling multitasking on iPad & iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.