Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP 14" - Utterly dissapointing

Today I finally managed to get my hands on an M1 Max, fully specced out 14" MacBook Pro. Coming from a 13" 2014 rMBP I thought it might've been time to upgrade after more than 7 years. I can't say I'm very happy, to be honest. The screen is amazing, and so is the M1 Max chip. But macOS is just pretty bad at the moment imho.

I've been refusing to update ever since Mojave because of some 32-bit apps I was using. Now that I'm running Monterey I have no words. Finder is pretty much unusable... it seems very cluttered. I don't see myself getting used to this after using macOS for 11 years. Items in Dock stacks don't sort by Kind anymore (folders first...). Pretty annoying if you don't use launchpad for opening apps. The dock seems blurry as well? My previous MacBook had razor sharp and very defined icons. They seem quite blurry now. Scaling is another thing, everything is smaller. If I change the scaling to a step higher, it's simply too big. Standard seems smaller than before, so an in between mode would've been nice.

That was the software part for me, let's talk hardware now. Everybody seems to be rooting about the keyboard, but the truth is that it still doesn't have a lot of travel. The same thing goes for the speakers. They might sound really big, but they simply are too bassy. Much too bassy, actually. It makes voice and speech pretty difficult to understand. The thicker form factor is fine, but the vents on the side are huge. They make the MacBook very uncomfortable to hold, they almost cut into my hands.

There are a lot of other things I would like to talk about with you guys, but I'd like to keep it short. Am I the only one having such a bad experience? Should I return this €5000 piece of disappointment?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Dec 17, 2021 11:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2021 12:28 PM

AteForFree wrote:

Today I finally managed to get my hands on an M1 Max, fully specced out 14" MacBook Pro. Coming from a 13" 2014 rMBP I thought it might've been time to upgrade after more than 7 years. I can't say I'm very happy, to be honest. The screen is amazing, and so is the M1 Max chip. But macOS is just pretty bad at the moment imho.

I've been refusing to update ever since Mojave because of some 32-bit apps I was using. Now that I'm running Monterey I have no words. Finder is pretty much unusable... it seems very cluttered. I don't see myself getting used to this after using macOS for 11 years. Items in Dock stacks don't sort by Kind anymore (folders first...). Pretty annoying if you don't use launchpad for opening apps. The dock seems blurry as well? My previous MacBook had razor sharp and very defined icons. They seem quite blurry now. Scaling is another thing, everything is smaller. If I change the scaling to a step higher, it's simply too big. Standard seems smaller than before, so an in between mode would've been nice.

That was the software part for me, let's talk hardware now. Everybody seems to be rooting about the keyboard, but the truth is that it still doesn't have a lot of travel. The same thing goes for the speakers. They might sound really big, but they simply are too bassy. Much too bassy, actually. It makes voice and speech pretty difficult to understand. The thicker form factor is fine, but the vents on the side are huge. They make the MacBook very uncomfortable to hold, they almost cut into my hands.

There are a lot of other things I would like to talk about with you guys, but I'd like to keep it short. Am I the only one having such a bad experience? Should I return this €5000 piece of disappointment?

Typically there is a limited 14-day return for full refund or exchange...

The holiday return period is in effect, if you purchased it from Apple online or from an Apple StorePurchases made between November 15 and December 25 —can be returned through January 8. See: https://www.apple.com/shop/help/returns_refund

That 14-day return/exchange policy only applies in countries where you can buy DIRECT from Apple

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251689218?answerId=253252714022#253252714022

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2021 12:28 PM in response to AteForFree

AteForFree wrote:

Typically there is a limited 14-day return for full refund or exchange...

The holiday return period is in effect, if you purchased it from Apple online or from an Apple StorePurchases made between November 15 and December 25 —can be returned through January 8. See: https://www.apple.com/shop/help/returns_refund

That 14-day return/exchange policy only applies in countries where you can buy DIRECT from Apple

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251689218?answerId=253252714022#253252714022

MBP 14" - Utterly dissapointing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.