Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

frozen Monterey update

I have recently purchased a new Macbook Air (M1 2020) with an Apple M1 chip which is running macOSMonterey 12.0.1 A notification appeared in the system preferences that an update to 12.1 is available for my system but after several attempts I can't get past the progress bar of the download which shows a small red beginning dot then freezes.

I am connected to my router by Wi Fi and connect the power charge when attempting to update but

after a couple of hours there is no progress of the download/update ? what am I doing wrong ?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Dec 17, 2021 12:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2021 5:24 PM

the only other suggestion i can give would be to try the download / update process while in safe mode.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

5 replies

Dec 17, 2021 12:59 PM in response to alanfromsomerset

since the MBA in question doesn't have an ethernet port, there are two things i would recommend. first, move the mac as close as you can to the router. and second, temporarily disconnect all other devices from the wi-fi while downloading. you need as much bandwidth as possible going to the mac while downloading macOS updates / upgrades.

Dec 17, 2021 5:01 PM in response to jeffreythefrog

Hello JTF

I have followed your suggestion, I placed the MBA 300mm from the router, I disconnected the Eternet cable to my desk top

and got the same result.The notification to upgrade from Monterey 12.0.1 to Monterey 12.1... was there in system preferences and upon selecting update the progress bar flashes full length/off...full length/off then reverts to a small dot on the progress bar as if starting to download.I put the MBA on the charge cable so as to not run the battery down and left it for an hour,there was no progress,I checked the advanced button and saw that my MBA is enabled to download new updates and to instal new updates.I checked the firewall status, it was on so I turned the firewall off and tried again for the same result.The MBA is new,albeit a 2020 model but it was purchased with Monterey 12.0.1 instaled and in the short time I've it owned there have been no large files,no photos, no music added to the hard drive, all that's on it are the software programs that came with it. Cheers

frozen Monterey update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.