Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music for Mac has stopped allowing me to add music

Music for Mac was working great until about 2 months ago. I can't add MP3 files to the library or play them directly from the desk top. I've tried to drag and drop files. It will appear with plus icon like it's working but nothing happens. I've also tried a right click, open file with "Music" and nothing happens. File will play with Quicktime, VLC, etc. Just stopped working with Music. I tried upgrading my OS, searching for a app update, hard restarts. I have MacOS Monterey now, but the problem started with my previous OS.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 18, 2021 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2021 9:36 AM

JW,

There are many ways to add an audio file to your iTunes/Music library. Once you are sure the valid file is on your local drive, try one or more of the following:

• Drag it into iTunes (or Music)
  • Drag it into a specific playlist (i.e., the open window of a regular playlist, not a smart playlist)
  • Drag it into the "Automatically Add..." folder (Do this while iTunes/Music is running)
  • Use the command File > Import and navigate to its location
  • Right-click the MP3 and choose Open With > iTunes (or Music)
  • Double-click the MP3

If the audio file is valid, at least one of these should work.

If none of them work you may have an invalid or corrupt file. This has been happening a lot lately with files from "low quality" sources such as YouTube conversions. If this is your situation, use a 3rd party tool to clean up or convert the file, or seek a more reliable source.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2021 9:36 AM in response to JWTone24

JW,

There are many ways to add an audio file to your iTunes/Music library. Once you are sure the valid file is on your local drive, try one or more of the following:

• Drag it into iTunes (or Music)
  • Drag it into a specific playlist (i.e., the open window of a regular playlist, not a smart playlist)
  • Drag it into the "Automatically Add..." folder (Do this while iTunes/Music is running)
  • Use the command File > Import and navigate to its location
  • Right-click the MP3 and choose Open With > iTunes (or Music)
  • Double-click the MP3

If the audio file is valid, at least one of these should work.

If none of them work you may have an invalid or corrupt file. This has been happening a lot lately with files from "low quality" sources such as YouTube conversions. If this is your situation, use a 3rd party tool to clean up or convert the file, or seek a more reliable source.

Apple Music for Mac has stopped allowing me to add music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.