Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my iPhone 12 get hot?

Why does my just replaced iPhone 12 get hot when charging?

iPhone 12, iOS 15

Posted on Dec 18, 2021 5:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2021 6:00 PM

Hi,

Sorry to hear you are having troubles with your iPhone.

I would recommend reviewing this article for further clarification on device temperatures, and what is considered expected behavior:

If that doesn’t resolve your issue, contact Apple Support to further assist.

I also noticed you mentioned this affected product is a replacement device. If the product was replaced through Apple, make sure to have your Repair ID available whenever you call.

Hope this helps.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2021 6:00 PM in response to MERE22

Hi,

Sorry to hear you are having troubles with your iPhone.

I would recommend reviewing this article for further clarification on device temperatures, and what is considered expected behavior:

If that doesn’t resolve your issue, contact Apple Support to further assist.

I also noticed you mentioned this affected product is a replacement device. If the product was replaced through Apple, make sure to have your Repair ID available whenever you call.

Hope this helps.

Dec 18, 2021 5:20 PM in response to MERE22

MERE22 wrote:

Why does my just replaced iPhone 12 get hot when charging?

It’s called the Second Law of Thermodynamics. Anything that creates or uses energy does so with some loss. That lost energy is expressed as heat. So when you charge the phone it generates heat in the power source, heat in the charger circuit in the phone, and heat as the energy goes into the battery. The faster the charging, the more heat is generated. Likewise when you discharge the battery; not all of the energy from the battery gets to the circuits that use it. Some of it becomes heat. If you use the cellular network for voice or data, converting energy to radio frequency signals is very wasteful; only about 30% of the energy that goes into the network components comes out as radio signals.

As a lighter view of the laws of thermodynamics, the Battelle Memorial Institute many years ago published a lay-persons explanation of the 3 laws of thermodynamics:

1. You can’t win (Energy cannot be created; that’s why there is no perpetual motion)
  2. You can’t break even (There is some energy loss in every process)
  3. You can’t quit the game (It is not possible to reach a state of no energy - absolute zero)

Dec 18, 2021 5:52 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

1. Our Solar System and the Universe can be said to be in perpetual motion. There will be an end to everything and there will be a beginning of something new. Is this perpetual motion? Not if it leads to an ultimate end.
  2. Our Sun. Like all stars, our Sun is a dying star. Energy Loss.
  3. The only absolute zero that I know is 0 Kelvin or -459.67 Fahrenheit

Those were my Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy.

Axel F.

Dec 18, 2021 5:18 PM in response to MERE22

Your iPhone 12 will get warm as it charges. It may even get hot at times depending on ambient conditions and the level of charge applied. All this is normal. If your iPhone gets too hot to operate then it will shut down as a safety precaution. If it has not shut down then it is not overheating and operating / charging normally.

If your iPhone 12 gets too hot to touch then you can have it examined at the Apple Store or at an Authorized Service Center.

Axel F.

Why does my iPhone 12 get hot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.