Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to add a new contact to a gray circle

How can I add to my iPhone more contacts in gray circles?

Posted on Dec 18, 2021 6:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 11:51 AM

Oh, you want to pin a conversation in Messages! Thank you, the picture makes it much clearer. It's not a contact who is being pinned but rather the conversation. And, it's only a grey circle if you don't have a contact picture.

See here:

Use Messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2021 11:51 AM in response to sunshineman6869

Oh, you want to pin a conversation in Messages! Thank you, the picture makes it much clearer. It's not a contact who is being pinned but rather the conversation. And, it's only a grey circle if you don't have a contact picture.

See here:

Use Messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Jan 5, 2022 7:12 AM in response to sunshineman6869

The instructions on how to pin a conversation are in the article I linked to but, here they are as well:

Pin important conversations

With Messages in iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 and later, you can pin up to nine conversations. When you pin a conversation it shows up at the top of the Messages app, so it's easy to get to.

To pin a conversation, open Messages, then swipe right over the conversation. Or follow these steps:

1. Open Messages, then tap Edit or the More button .
  2. Tap Edit Pins , then tap the Pin button .
  3. Tap Done.

Dec 29, 2021 9:06 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

When I first noticed these "gray circles" about 3 weeks ago, or around that time, there were 6 circles all with 2 letters, and I assume they were first letter, of first name and last name. I understand about the "messages' being 'pinned', I think.

Before I started this inquiry, I was able to add a circle with the initials of my son, which was about 10 days ago, but I can not figure out how I did that, so after some trying I decided to reach out for some help.

I am an old guy who is not savvy enough when it comes to hi-tech, but if I did it once, why can't I do it again, with some help from my friends............................

Mike

How to add a new contact to a gray circle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.