Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XS water damage.

The iPhone XS is stated to have a rating of  IP68 under IEC standard 60529 (maximum depth of 2 meters up to 30 minutes) - meaning the phone can withstand 'brief immersion in shallow pools of water. I happened to take my phone into a swimming pool for no more than 1 minute at 1-2 feet deep. My phone is now un-useable. I believed that I was able to take my phone underwater after reading Apple's guidance, I feel robbed after only buying this phone 4 months ago and not causing any damage to it over the 4 months. Was my phone manufactured incorrectly or is Apple just lying to me?

iPhone XS, iOS 15

Posted on Dec 19, 2021 8:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2021 8:50 AM

Nowhere has Apple stated any iPhone is waterproof.

Water damage is not covered by any warranty.

You destroyed your phone by submerging it in chemical filled water.

No manufacturer of phones covers water damage to their water resistant phones.

Similar questions

4 replies

Dec 19, 2021 8:42 AM in response to KiltedTim

Ok, so how is it acceptable to claim these phones as having an IP68 rating when these are only in controlled lab conditions and not in the real world? Apple should clarify that their phones are not actually waterproof and hardly even water resistant as mine has broken by practically sitting in a puddle for a minute. You've told me about some theoretical watch and atmosphere, which I understand but our phones are being broken from occurrences which we are told should not be a problem (2 metres up to 30 minutes.)

iPhone XS water damage.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.