Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will my SIM card from my 8 work in my new 13 promax?

Will my SIM card from my iPhone 8 work in my new 13 promax?

iPhone 8, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 19, 2021 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2021 11:35 AM

Physically, yes.

Assuming the iPhone 13 is not carrier-locked, or is carrier-locked and the SIM is from the carrier holding the lock, yes.

Some carriers do charge a cellular plan transfer fee, though.

9 replies

Dec 20, 2021 3:46 AM in response to LD150

No, I don't need a new "contract" for 5G with Verizon. All I need is a new SIM card that supports 5G in it's settings. I have a 11 Pro on Verizon right now and have a gifted 13 Pro Max on order. I can move the 4G SIM over, but if I go into a 5G area they advised that I would NOT get 5G service as my account would not be configured for it using the older SIM card.

I don't have to sign a new contract. It's the same service with Verizon, with the only difference being your SIM is configured to connect to the 5G towers. Now, they WILL charge you a $35 fee for activation since it is a new phone (just one more money grab by them).

In fact, the doctors that have gifted me the iPhone 13 Pro Max just upgraded to the 13 Pro Max's themselves. It did not take a new contract, they simply paid cash for the phones, got them delivered with new SIM cards and activated them. They didn't have to sign a new contract, lock themselves into a time period of anything.

Dec 20, 2021 4:23 AM in response to LD150

No "argument" to it. I'm simply telling you what applies to Verizon. In fact, even current AT&T plans don't require a "new contract" as 5G is part of all newer plans.

In fact, direct from the AT&T website is this:

All of the newest AT&T data plans now include 5G access at no extra charge. (AT&T may temporarily slow data speeds if the network is busy). If you have an older AT&T plan that doesn’t include 5G service, you’re going to want to switch to one of these newer plans.

The same applies to Verizon from what their official representatives have told me. Newer plans include 5G service, and it's simply getting a new SIM with them to enable it or activating the eSIM on your new iPhone 13. No "new contract" is required. Now, as to other carriers I cannot speak.

Will my SIM card from my 8 work in my new 13 promax?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.