Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple 7 Watch Charging Issue

I have the Apple 7 Nike watch. It will only charge using the USB-C charging cable that came with the watch. Are the older charging cables not compatible with the Apple Watch 7? (USB-A charger)

WatchOS 8.3

Model MKJL3LL/A

Apple Watch Series 7

Posted on Dec 19, 2021 11:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2022 7:49 AM

Is the previous charger an original Apple Charger or a 3rd party aftermarket charger. Many aftermarket chargers were not MFI certified. They may have worked with previous watches, but WatchOS 8.3 may have rendered non-MFI chargers unable to be used. If I purchase an aftermarket charger for any Apple device I own, I always ensure they are MFI Certified. They will always work. But if companies "stole" the codes without certifying their devices, Apple can release an update, which will render those devices non-functioning. And it seems WatchOS 8.3 did this for non-MFI Certified chargers.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2022 7:49 AM in response to squill

Is the previous charger an original Apple Charger or a 3rd party aftermarket charger. Many aftermarket chargers were not MFI certified. They may have worked with previous watches, but WatchOS 8.3 may have rendered non-MFI chargers unable to be used. If I purchase an aftermarket charger for any Apple device I own, I always ensure they are MFI Certified. They will always work. But if companies "stole" the codes without certifying their devices, Apple can release an update, which will render those devices non-functioning. And it seems WatchOS 8.3 did this for non-MFI Certified chargers.

Dec 19, 2021 1:23 PM in response to squill

If you have the old charging cable and power adapter from a previous watch, it should work although you will lose the fast charging feature. Since I charge mine overnight, every night that feature is not that important to me. BTW, I have heard that some people are having problems charging the watch with third-party adapters after the 8.3 update.

Jan 27, 2022 7:14 AM in response to squill

It looks like watchOS 8.4 was just released, and the bug fix summary shows: " watchOS 8.4 includes bug fixes and important security updates, including: Some chargers may not work as expected."

So while we never saw anything official about this published by Apple until now, we know they really did introduce a problem in watchOS 8.3.

Hope this fixes it for everybody!

Feb 5, 2022 11:14 PM in response to sprtbkr

Didn't work for me. Watch OS 8.3 was definitely the culprit because it stopped accepting the old original charger after the update. However OS 8.4 didn't solve the problem. I find Apple not sincere in trying to save the environment. They change from USB B to UCB C and stop supplying the plug. I have to buy it anyway coz all my other plugs from Apple are USB B! Since my watch came via the post, I've to make an extra trip to town just to get it. 😡

Feb 6, 2022 7:34 AM in response to leaping

leaping, in the modern world these days, you are more the "exception than the rule." Yes, if you have absolutely no way to charge an Apple Watch, meaning you're not one of the millions upon millions who already owned an Apple Watch and had full access to a previous charger, which would certainly charge your new watch, or you don't own a modern computer which has a USB C input as most have had for the last few years, or you don't own any other product which is USB C, which has become the norm in electronics for the last few years, then yes, for YOU, it's an inconvenience.

To suggest however, because you have not yet experienced USB C, does not make Apple's quest for less electronic waste insincere.

Apple 7 Watch Charging Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.