Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to upgrade my old iMac 12.1 running Snow Leopard

I want to upgrade my old iMac 12.1 running Snow Leopard to High Sierra and found this link in Apple Support: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

According to this information I first made a back-up and uploaded Yosemite and installed it. there was a quick message that after uploading it couldn't find Safari and two other files. (unfortunately I lost that info). Finally nothing happened and the mac has an installed file of Yosemite, but is still running Snow Leopard.

I am not an expert in these things. (My knowledge goes as far as using a Mac).

Can someone help.

Thanks

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Dec 19, 2021 2:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2021 5:10 PM

Ydax123,

First, backup before any upgrades.

Then, download OS X El Capitan: How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support. Open the downloaded DMG and install the App. Then, open the "Install OS X El Capitan" App and upgrade.

Then, get macOS High Sierra: How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support and open the "Install macOS High Sierra" App and upgrade.

Jack

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2021 5:10 PM in response to Ydax123

Ydax123,

First, backup before any upgrades.

Then, download OS X El Capitan: How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support. Open the downloaded DMG and install the App. Then, open the "Install OS X El Capitan" App and upgrade.

Then, get macOS High Sierra: How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support and open the "Install macOS High Sierra" App and upgrade.

Jack

Dec 19, 2021 4:53 PM in response to Johnb-one

You could try Internet Recovery… i think your iMac supports it

Only certain 2011 iMac models supported it, and that requires OS X 10.7 Lion or later at least. The OP is using Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6. Not supported in this case.

i don’t know if your iMac supports Yosemite, officially.

iMac 12,1 is an iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011). This supports up to macOS High Sierra, which includes prior versions, such as OS X Yosemite.

Use diskmaker x to make a usb boot stick for your mac.

Why not create a bootable installer for macOS?

Jan 19, 2022 9:13 AM in response to Jack-19

Thank you all for your kind support. Due to the holidays it took a while, but yesterday I was able to upgrade to El Capitan and from there to High Sierra, using the instruction file: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683 The problem appeared to be in the unboxing of El Capital and my lack of knowledge to find the upgrade-file (appeared in the program folder). From there I could install it. Going from El Capital to High Sierra was much easier.

So, everything works now. I only notice the Mac has become slow. Would CleanMyMac solve this, or better use an SSD as HD?

Dec 19, 2021 4:35 PM in response to Ydax123

You could try Internet Recovery… i think your iMac supports it… try rebooting your iMac and holding down Command ( Apple) + option key and the R keys together on your keyboard in startup… make sure your imac has an Ethernet connection… if successful you should see a spinning globe, progress bar and ‘this may take a while’ on your screen… it might be Shift+option+command+R held down together… i don’t know if your iMac supports Yosemite, officially. You might want to go for El Capitan… anyways, start out with the basics… reset smc/pmu then zap pram 3-4 times on startup.. then try either of the key combos i mentioned… otherwise, download a copy of sierra/high sierra with the link you mentioned and get a usb stick with about 8 gb capacity, mac-formatted. Use diskmaker x to make a usb boot stick for your mac. When it’s done that and you have ejected the usb stick safely, restart your iMac holding down the Option key and plug in the usb stick. This gets you to the startup manager where you can pick which disc/drive to boot from.. the usb boot drive should show up and you pick it..

hope this helps you

john b

Jan 19, 2022 11:56 AM in response to Ydax123

I’d say ‘maybe, perhaps Yes’ to the SSD…..seeing as how it’s a non-Apple SSD,you’d probably have to enable TRIM. as for Clean My Mac, that’s a definite ‘no’ .. don’t download/use anything that claims to ‘clean your Mac’, or ‘fix your Mac’ …the only disadvantage with an SSD is cost. Compared to a conventional hard drive they are more expensive, but faster

john b

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Jan 20, 2022 5:37 AM in response to Johnb-one

About the SSD, I also wonder if it is worth the effort and money. The iMac is 12.1, 2,7 GHz Intel Core i5 with 16 GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 memory.

About CleanMyMac and such programs, you seem to have a strong view about them, can you please explain. The thing is, I am not so technical. So for me it is very hard to see what can be thrown out.

I want to upgrade my old iMac 12.1 running Snow Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.