Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

smart albums in Photos

I am reorganizing my library of 2,504 images. I have 'removed/emptied' all the albums and then removed the empty folders. I have come to one final smart album titled "Photo is Edited" and am not able to clear the photos without losing them. What to do?

Posted on Dec 19, 2021 9:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2021 10:16 PM

You cannot remove any items from smart albums, without deleting them from the library. You have to change the rules of the smart album, if you want to modify it.

Smart albums are automatically populated by photos, based on all photos in the library and the rules of the album.

Why do you want to empty the album? Are you trying to save storage? Albums do not store photos; all photos are stored in Photos only once. Albums are just referencing the ne copy of the photo in the library. Adding photos to albums does not move them or create duplicates. You can add the same photo to many albums without needing extra storage.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2021 10:16 PM in response to kentering

You cannot remove any items from smart albums, without deleting them from the library. You have to change the rules of the smart album, if you want to modify it.

Smart albums are automatically populated by photos, based on all photos in the library and the rules of the album.

Why do you want to empty the album? Are you trying to save storage? Albums do not store photos; all photos are stored in Photos only once. Albums are just referencing the ne copy of the photo in the library. Adding photos to albums does not move them or create duplicates. You can add the same photo to many albums without needing extra storage.

smart albums in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.