Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting Pages Docs to Word/PDF badly formatted after upgrading to Big Sur

Hi All

Can anyone help me with this problem please?

After recently updating to Big Sur, all my Pages Docs are being exported using NeoOffice and when I check them before sending, the formatting is mental and a one page document turns into 20 pages.

I'm applying for work and few organisations seem able to open Pages documents.

My CV is all over the place now and I can't send it.

Thank you

Jem

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 3:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 10:26 AM

NeoOffice is based on OpenOffice. Documents created in either of those applications should be openable in the current (7.2.4) LibreOffice, which is updated more often than the preceding two. I would remove NeoOffice and if you really need it, then install the free LibreOffice. LibreOffice documentation is available too.

Features that you use in Pages that have no Word counterpart are going to get whacked during the Pages to Word export translation. LibreOffice is reasonably good at displaying Word documents exported from Pages, but it too, and even though it is deliberately a Word clone, may still not display the exported Word content as it may appear in the real Word application, or originally in Pages.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2021 10:26 AM in response to jem279

NeoOffice is based on OpenOffice. Documents created in either of those applications should be openable in the current (7.2.4) LibreOffice, which is updated more often than the preceding two. I would remove NeoOffice and if you really need it, then install the free LibreOffice. LibreOffice documentation is available too.

Features that you use in Pages that have no Word counterpart are going to get whacked during the Pages to Word export translation. LibreOffice is reasonably good at displaying Word documents exported from Pages, but it too, and even though it is deliberately a Word clone, may still not display the exported Word content as it may appear in the real Word application, or originally in Pages.

Dec 20, 2021 6:57 AM in response to jem279

Why are you even involving Pages at all when NeoOffice can provide the two formats that the majority of CV submission sites expect: Word DOCX and PDF? Submit your CV as saved directly from NeoOffice to Word or PDF, and don't use Pages. You may need to start a new document in NeoOffice to tidy up your CV now.

Pages is not a Word clone, and when it opens a Word document, it must translate it as best it can into Pages internal document format. Apple does not guarantee this translation result, nor the subsequent translation that must occur when exporting to Word DOCX or PDF. Again, there is no guarantee in either case that the result will appear as the original Word document did from NeoOffice.

Dec 20, 2021 8:35 AM in response to VikingOSX

Hi and thanks for responding.

I've been using Pages templates for years and never had a problem with it. When I send the exported CV to myself in Word DOCX or PDF, it's appeared exactly as it was in Pages (to me and to the recipients) and NeoOffice never usually appears when I open the exported document.

I didn't know I had it and can only think it came from a course I did in 2016 when we had to transfer documents to suit Mac.

Would I have to buy an updated version now?

Converting Pages Docs to Word/PDF badly formatted after upgrading to Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.