Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any way to escape from the ‘Update’ apps that you can’t actually update because your iOS is too old?

The App Store on my iPad constantly wants me to ‘Update’ apps, which is perfectly normal of course, except that now, upon selecting ‘Update’ it says that the iOS is too old to download the updates, but it won’t let me download a later iOS because the device is too old for a newer iOS. So how do I escape from this catch 22 (without forking out for a newer iPad) for something that is not actually possible it seems, or should I just live with it, and have it permanently prompting with ‘impossible’ Updates in the App Store?

iPad mini, iOS 12

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 12:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 1:25 PM

There's something strange there.

The App Store itself will never suggest an update for an App if the device cannot actually get that update because it requires a different iOS version. than the one it's currently running.

The Apps themselves may prompt you to update to a newer version upon opening if the version installed is no longer supported by its developer and a newer version is now required. That has nothing to do with the App Store however. Its the App being set as supersede by its developer and requiring the update. If you cannot get the update from the App Store, then that particular app is no longer usable. You would need to delete it and find a replacement that still runs on the iOS version your iPad is running.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2021 1:25 PM in response to Elixir101

The App Store itself will never suggest an update for an App if the device cannot actually get that update because it requires a different iOS version. than the one it's currently running.

The Apps themselves may prompt you to update to a newer version upon opening if the version installed is no longer supported by its developer and a newer version is now required. That has nothing to do with the App Store however. Its the App being set as supersede by its developer and requiring the update. If you cannot get the update from the App Store, then that particular app is no longer usable. You would need to delete it and find a replacement that still runs on the iOS version your iPad is running.

Dec 21, 2021 11:45 AM in response to Phil0124

Phil0124 wrote:

Indeed, this behaviour is strange - but it does happen.

For example, if Microsoft Teams is installed on an iPad Air1 or mini2, the Apple Store will continuously prompt to update to the current version of the MS Teams App. When the update is attempted, this is what you’ll see:

The last “compatible version” is already installed. This loop will continue for as long as MS Teams remains installed on the iPad.

This is just one example of this strange behaviour.

NB: In this example, the iPad mini2 is running the most recent supported version of iOS - iOS 12.5.5.

Dec 21, 2021 11:14 AM in response to Phil0124

Thanks Phil, makes sense, it sounds like something just like that which is happening to me here. The current installed apps work fine anyway (at least as far as what I’m seeing when using them), but as you mention they are likely no longer supported, so the ‘risk’ is all mine if I continue to use them, which I’m happy to do until they actually cease to function, and then I’ll consider my options.

Dec 21, 2021 11:41 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks Lotus. Yes that is odd. Thew App Store should not be offering that update at all if it can't be run on the current device.

That is very strange.

@Elixir101, if you can still use the app, then yes, you can continue to use it. The App Store should not be suggesting an update that cannot be installed unless there is something wrong with the versioning there.

Might need to contact the developer of the App and let them know this is happening.

Any way to escape from the ‘Update’ apps that you can’t actually update because your iOS is too old?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.