Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having issues with Monterey 12.1

I am having a large number of instability issues with Monetary 12.1

1.     General instability,  Sometimes OS crashes with a re-start after doing nothing

2.     Mac Bluetooth Mouse often pointer stops working in the up & down direction - requires reboot

3.     False message that Time Machine Backup Disk not ejected properly.

4.     Instability reading / ejecting DVD player

5.     Bluetooth mouse stops working, will not reconnect, even though it has identified it

6     Forcing Finder to relaunch cause desktop not to show any icons and Finder fails to re-launch

I am being forced to restart Monetary several times a day, sometimes I have to totally unplug my computer and restart. I am not happy with the current release of Monterey and feel Apple should have waited until it solved instability issues. I have a MacPro (2015) with 24 GB memory. So far, Monterey has been a big step backward from Big Sur.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Mac Pro

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 1:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2021 2:15 AM

Ok see various issues. But since Contributor @ dailabrain was first on your question to suggest Etrecheck - out of respect will fade to background on this one.

Though - as per the supplied report " CleanMyMac & McAfee " will both be pickup up on as possible Major Source of many of the computer problems and issues.

This will include CleanMyMac or any other application that performs the same harm to the OS. The first 600 posting will be a testament to this and like applications

McAfee Virus Software - the first 60 posting in the ASC Forums also as a testament to to issue this software causes.

Both should be removed as per the Developers instructions.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2021 2:15 AM in response to BobL53

Ok see various issues. But since Contributor @ dailabrain was first on your question to suggest Etrecheck - out of respect will fade to background on this one.

Though - as per the supplied report " CleanMyMac & McAfee " will both be pickup up on as possible Major Source of many of the computer problems and issues.

This will include CleanMyMac or any other application that performs the same harm to the OS. The first 600 posting will be a testament to this and like applications

McAfee Virus Software - the first 60 posting in the ASC Forums also as a testament to to issue this software causes.

Both should be removed as per the Developers instructions.

Dec 20, 2021 2:26 PM in response to BobL53

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. 

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with nor receive compensation from the Developer.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Dec 20, 2021 3:41 PM in response to PRP_53

Many thanks for your suggestions and reply. Copied below is my response to Mac_Cat. Also, per your suggestion, I am attaching a copy of the Etre Check report. I did the $20 to get Etre Check Pro, so maybe that will help me decipher the Greek in the report.

Thanks for your help and prompt reply. For my backup drive, I am using a Seagate 2TB desktop plus for Mac, connected via USB2. It has been working flawlessly with Time Machine for years and it is current, up to date. My Apple CD/DVD drive was purchased directly from Apple about five years ago. I use Thunderbolt only to connect my two monitors.

I'm usually able to complete the tasks I need to do, but find myself rebooting Monterey far more than any OS I've ever used, and sometimes I need to use a different approach. When I'm forced to relaunch Finder because of the "spinning wheel of death", I temporarily lose all my desktop icons and Finder itself will not launch. Re-booting usually solves that, but I never had this experience in Big Sur or High Sierra. I still love my Apple after kissing off Microsoft six years ago (though I still occasionally use Windows 10, under Parallels, to run some legacy Windows based software).

Per your suggestion, I did run Etre Check and it pointed out some things I need to work on. The only major issue it pointed out was "Kernel panics - This system has experienced kernel panics that could be related to 3rd party software," but I need to find out more about this and exactly what to do.

I always get nervous with every major OS upgrade. The most nervous step of all was going to Big Sur and losing some 30+ 32-bit programs. I survived that major river crossing with some new software, upgrades, or living without.

At almost age 82, its tough to keep up with all the latest stuff.

Dec 20, 2021 1:55 PM in response to BobL53

I had some of those problems on my iMac, but not on the Mac Pro (2013)

1) The mouse issue vexes me, still. I turn it off and back on when the scaling feature stops working.

2) The TM problem may be an incompatible disk drive (what make and model is it? I'm using a G-Drive disk array.

3) What, if anything is on your Thunderbolt ports ? Can you disconnect them for a while ?

I had a bad Thunderbolt device that blocked my WiFi and Internet access every time.

4) Consider installing EtreCheck to help you debug - not perfect, but it gives a lot of useful information.

Dec 20, 2021 3:36 PM in response to Mac_Cat

Thanks for your help and prompt reply. For my backup drive, I am using a Seagate 2TB desktop plus for Mac, connected via USB2. It has been working flawlessly with Time Machine for years and it is current, up to date. My Apple CD/DVD drive was purchased directly from Apple about five years ago. I use Thunderbolt only to connect my two monitors.

I'm usually able to complete the tasks I need to do, but find myself rebooting Monterey far more than any OS I've ever used, and sometimes I need to use a different approach. When I'm forced to relaunch Finder because of the "spinning wheel of death", I temporarily lose all my desktop icons and Finder itself will not launch. Re-booting usually solves that, but I never had this experience in Big Sur or High Sierra. I still love my Apple after kissing off Microsoft six years ago (though I still occasionally use Windows 10, under Parallels, to run some legacy Windows based software).

Per your suggestion, I did run Etre Check and it pointed out some things I need to work on. The only major issue it pointed out was "Kernel panics - This system has experienced kernel panics that could be related to 3rd party software," but I need to find out more about this and exactly what to do.

I always get nervous with every major OS upgrade. The most nervous step of all was going to Big Sur and losing some 30+ 32-bit programs. I survived that major river crossing with some new software, upgrades, or living without.

At almost age 82, its tough to keep up with all the latest stuff.

Having issues with Monterey 12.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.