Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Podcast app keeps crashing on iPhone and iPad

How do I fix the Apple Podcast app crashing? I've force closed the app, and restarted both the iPhone and iPad with no result.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Dec 21, 2021 8:46 AM

9 replies

Jan 18, 2022 10:13 PM in response to Tom653Ger

I’m also having this problem and it’s incredibly frustrating. My iPhone 12 Pro, iPad Mini 6, and iPad Pro (11-inch, 2018) all have this problem since iOS 15.2.

When launching the Podcasts app, I can see the Up Next queue begin to refresh with the latest episodes, and then within 10 seconds the app crashes. If I re-launch the app again, this repeats again and the app crashes within 10 seconds again (even if I try to navigate to another section of the Podcasts app). I often have to deal with it crashing three or four times before I might get lucky and have it stabilize for a bit to allow me to play something and not have it die on me, but this won’t last too long either.

My theory is that the crashing has something to do with refreshing the latest episodes for Up Next, and that after re-launching the app enough times to have all the newest episodes successfully load, then the app becomes relatively stable again.

Given that I can replicate this issue on all of my iOS devices, and since it used to be fine prior to iOS 15.2, I don’t think it’s a problem with my configuration or devices.

Is this a known issue that is going to be resolved? I’m happy to provide additional information if it will help Apple debug what’s going on. Thanks for any insight!

Edit: I should probably also mention that iOS 15.2.1 does not resolve this problem either sadly.

Jan 22, 2022 12:58 PM in response to Uturnaroun

Happening to me, too, after just having updated to 15.2.1 last night. Have disabled all options to download next/up next/save in background or whatever and it’s still happening. Have shut off/restarted my phone multiple times with diff permutations of those podcast options and still the app crashes after about 5-10 seconds.

Feb 3, 2022 11:09 AM in response to Tom653Ger

This is really annoying. I hope Apple figures it out soon. The only workaround I have found that makes it a bit more stable is this:

1. Put your phone or iPad in airplane mode and leave WiFi off.

2. Open the podcast app and wait a few seconds for the app to stabilize (some podcasts that were synching or downloading in the background may pop up and appear. When everything stops moving around, close the app again.)

3. Turn airplane mode back off

4. Open the app again.

It’s not fully foolproof, but it took it from completely unusable to somewhat usable for me. Crashing every thirty minutes instead of every two seconds.

Apple Podcast app keeps crashing on iPhone and iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.