Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just switched to Monterey and having audio problem on Facetime and Whatsapp calls

Since switching to MacOS Monterey, all of a sudden I can't hear anything coming from the other person while on Facetime calls and Whatsapp calls, in both audio and video calls. The video works but the audio is completely silent. This is not the case on Zoom, the sound still works fine on Zoom. Does anyone know how to fix this? I already checked and I'm up to date on my whatsapp software updates. I don't know what else to do at this point. I've restarted my computer several times and the problem persists.

Thanks for any advice!

Jeff

MacBook, macOS 12.1

Posted on Dec 21, 2021 9:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2022 7:23 PM

I may have found a workaround. A friend of mine who used to work at Apple suggested disabling noise cancellation. This can be done by opening System Preferences, clicking on Sound, clicking input tab, and unchecking "Use ambient noise reduction". Note, the option is only shown (can only be enabled or disabled) BEFORE opening FaceTime or any other affected app.

Similar questions

92 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2022 7:23 PM in response to jeffkugler82

I may have found a workaround. A friend of mine who used to work at Apple suggested disabling noise cancellation. This can be done by opening System Preferences, clicking on Sound, clicking input tab, and unchecking "Use ambient noise reduction". Note, the option is only shown (can only be enabled or disabled) BEFORE opening FaceTime or any other affected app.

Dec 22, 2021 8:50 AM in response to jeffkugler82

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for reaching out, we’ll be glad to help with FaceTime and see if we can find out what’s causing this behavior.

Have you seen the article FaceTime User Guide – Change audio options for FaceTime calls on Mac? If not, look and see if any of the settings can be changed that will help the sound come through.

Reach back out if you still need help.

Take care!

Jan 24, 2022 6:14 AM in response to K4GDG

This is the form I used when I submitted for the Macbook 2016 no audio in facetime issue: Feedback - macOS - Apple

When I filed the bug report I linked back to this forum thread, so in theory there is the capability for feedback to this thread if the issue was going to be addressed.

I suspect the no-audio issue (issue #1) might be very low priority to fix, given it sounds like affected devices (Macbook '16's, Mac Mini '14's) are all going to fall off the bottom of the support list on the next Mac OS point release :-(

Dec 26, 2021 9:25 AM in response to busov177

I have this issue too - and also on Early 2016 Retina Macbook which I think the OP is also on.

To give more details of what's going on - when ringing someone in facetime, the ring tone sounds, but as soon as it connects to the other party, there is no audio from the other side. We can both see video, they can hear my audio, but I can not hear their audio. The same call behaviour occurs in whatsapp desktop (which is.... wierd). When calling back on my iphone the call works as expected.

I have tried so far:

• Different user on the mac
  • NVRAM/PRAM reset
  • Restarting the mac
  • Different networks (to eliminate firewall issues)
  • Calling different people on different devices

I know the device (Macbook retina) is old, but facetime calls were all it was being used for, so locating a solution for this issue, at least in facetime, would be ideal.

Jan 8, 2022 2:52 AM in response to Remi-aapl

Today I coincidently noticed that when using an external monitor with a built-in webcam, speakers and microphone the issue is gone. So in short:

• FaceTime on Monterey 12.1 with a standalone MacBook Pro (2016) causes the audio to be crackling, choppy on not working at all (all other apps the audio is fine)
  • FaceTime on Monterey 12.1 with an external monitor connected through USB-C with built-in webcam, speakers and microphone the audio is fine

Anybody from Apple to help? Will this be resolved in the next update / bugfix?

May 7, 2022 1:23 AM in response to jeffkugler82

Have got the same issue here on a 2015 MacBook Air / Monterey 12.3.1.

Monterey used to work, now it doesn't. I think the problem began with a recent Monterey update. So it's a software problem.

It affects most web communications: FaceTime, WhatsApp, Google Meet - but oddly not Zoom.

Here is an easy way to test/reproduce the issue: https://webcammictest.com/check-mic.html

If you get cracking/distortion there, you will have the issue in other apps.

None of the suggested solutions have worked for me:

• Restarting the computer
  • Resetting SMC & PRAM
  • Deleting the pref files in /Library/Preferences/Audio
  • Changing the mic device sample rate in Audio MIDI Setup
  • Disabling Ambient Noise Reduction in Sound prefs

...apart from "plug in a set of headphones and then unplug them". (!)

This fixes the issue for me. I suspect there is some bug in Monterey where it doesn't initialise the audio device properly. Apple need to fix this ASAP!

Feb 1, 2022 9:03 AM in response to JoostBoZ

Go to "Built-in Output" and "Configure Speakers.." and click Left+Right test sound. Should be cropped.

Oddly enough I picked up on this and found the following:

using Audio MIDI Setup.app you can change "Play Alerts and Sound Effects.." via the other USB-C device and this makes it go away for me!!

Go to "Built-in Output" and "Configure Speakers.." and click Left+Right test sound. Should be normal.

Dec 26, 2021 2:39 PM in response to hywel from london

Thanks for the reply you guys. Yup, I have the same Macbook model (early 2016 regular Macbook). My issue is exactly how you described Hywel, exactly. It's super frustrating. I'm thinking of going back to MacOS Big Sur, but I've never backed up everything on my laptop before and I'm a little intimidated by that. It would be great if Apple could create an update fix for this issue. I imagine it's affecting thousands upon thousands of people around the world. I have also discovered that my laptop seems to process a little slower, perhaps, after updating to Monterey. Have any of you tried bringing it to an Apple store to have one of their technicians try to fix this? I'm out of warranty, so I know there will be a charge.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jan 1, 2022 7:13 PM in response to Alexiaginkgo

Thanks for sharing Alexiaginko. Btw, I made a new annyoying discovery yesterday. Along with people not being able to hear me anymore on Facetime and Whatsapp, the same issue applies to Google meet, yay!! :(

Are any apple employees following any of these apple discussions? It sure would be helpful to hear some advice from an expert and/or hear that you all are working on solving this issue. My job is highly dependent on video calls right now, and it's not realistic for me to always use Zoom and avoid all other video conferencing platforms. Nor is it realisitc for me to regularly host facetime/whatsapp/ and google meet video calls on my iphone as it burns battery too fast and will burn out the life of my battery too quickly. Hello Apple, any ideas or feedback on this issue??

Just switched to Monterey and having audio problem on Facetime and Whatsapp calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.