Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro suddenly no longer detected by external monitor

I have two devices; a 16" 2019 Intel MacBook Pro, and a new M1 MacBook Pro.

For some reason, the Intel MBP has suddenly stopped being detected by the external monitor. ...Well, almost. When I plug it in, the monitor detects something, but nothing shows on the screen, so it goes to sleep.

When the monitor goes to sleep, the MBP goes back to a single display…

…which makes the monitor detect a display change, and wake up again…

…only to not be able to detect anything, and start the whole cycle over again, on an endless loop.

Thing is: the new M1 MacBook Pro works just fine with the external monitor. So there's clearly not any issue with the monitor, or the dongle I'm using. It's only with the 2019 Intel MacBook Pro.

I followed all the steps in the troubleshooting guide, but they didn't resolve the issue. Please help.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Dec 21, 2021 12:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2021 1:44 PM

Solved via chat; I had to do this twice (once starting from off, once starting from on), but that did the trick.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Similar questions

2 replies

Dec 22, 2021 6:31 PM in response to j-jimmy

I am having this exact issue with my 2017 MacBook Pro 15" running OS Monterey. The odd thing is that the external display thing only just started. I had no problems for several months. I have run the Diagnostic upon restart and it shows nothing wrong, tried different adapters, HDMI cables, and even the process to restart the video ram. Still nothing fixes it. Pretty frustrating.

MacBook Pro suddenly no longer detected by external monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.