Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad mini

Hi , I’m trying to set up my old iPad mini that’s been sitting in my drawers for over a year.

I have changed my internet provider since last using it also the new wifi I have changed the password on my hub.

the issue is when I’ve switched my iPad on it’s like a new iPad settings just a screen saying hello set up wifi etc so I can’t actually get to any settings to tell it to forget the network etc.

I have tried setting up the wifi which is very simple I know , but even though it’s picking up the new hub when I put the password in to it ,it says it’s incorrect password. I even tried putting in the original password for the hub but both don’t work and I can’t get to any other screen to the settings etc.

I then thought I’d plug in the cable and use iTunes but when I click on iTunes expecting it to progress to the next stage not a thing happens.

My iPad is fully charged and I’m just stuck with it doing nothing at all I can’t even use the camera etc because I can’t get to any screen other than the set up wifi but it’s not accepted anything I put in!!

I’ve turned it off and on again trying to clear it but I’m not getting anywhere please help me solve this problem or it’s going back in the drawer to rot.

thanks and merry Christmas to you all.

iPad mini, 9

Posted on Dec 21, 2021 10:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2021 3:39 AM

As mentioned by Tesserax, with the initial “Hello” dialogue, your iPad must be set-up again as new. In its current state, your iPad has no knowledge of any prior settings - including WiFi.

Perhaps of greatest significance to your problem is that you have changed your ISP - and with that change are likely to have a much more modern WiFi Router that supports (by default) more recent security settings than your older iPad can support. Whilst you do not mention your iPad model, the tags appended to your post suggest that you have a first generation iPad mini - with iOS9 installed.

This Apple Support page outlines the recommended WiFi settings for your WiFi Router:

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

You will need to access your ISP-provided WiFi Router settings from another computer using either a web-browser - or if provided a dedicated software application.

If your router defaults to WPA3 security, you must change this to WPA2/PSK - otherwise your iPad mini1 will not be able to connect.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2021 3:39 AM in response to Molly0099

As mentioned by Tesserax, with the initial “Hello” dialogue, your iPad must be set-up again as new. In its current state, your iPad has no knowledge of any prior settings - including WiFi.

Perhaps of greatest significance to your problem is that you have changed your ISP - and with that change are likely to have a much more modern WiFi Router that supports (by default) more recent security settings than your older iPad can support. Whilst you do not mention your iPad model, the tags appended to your post suggest that you have a first generation iPad mini - with iOS9 installed.

This Apple Support page outlines the recommended WiFi settings for your WiFi Router:

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

You will need to access your ISP-provided WiFi Router settings from another computer using either a web-browser - or if provided a dedicated software application.

If your router defaults to WPA3 security, you must change this to WPA2/PSK - otherwise your iPad mini1 will not be able to connect.

Dec 21, 2021 10:44 PM in response to Molly0099

If you are seeing this "Hello" screen on your iPad, it was factory default reset ... so, in theory, it should not be configured for any previous network that it was connected to and there is no reason to try entering the old Wi-Fi network's password in this case.

What I suggest that you do, is temporarily change your wireless network to something simple, like: 123456789abc. Then when prompted for the password, enter that on the iPad's setup screen. If it works, continue on with the set up until you can verify that you can gain access to the iPad's Desktop.

With that, go ahead and change your network's wireless password to that desired. Then try connecting your iPad again with the new password.

Dec 22, 2021 6:53 PM in response to Tesserax

Hi thanks I’ve just tried doing that several times but when I’ve entered the different network name there’s nothing to type my password in it says security and to the right says none so I clicked on that and there’s a list that reads none with a tick by it , WEP,WPA,WPA2,WPA Enterprise and finally WPA2 Enterprise.

im thinking now of going a friends house with my iPad and entering their network and at least then I should be able to get to the settings on the desktop?

thanks for your help.

Dec 22, 2021 8:04 PM in response to Molly0099

Molly0099 wrote:

Hi thanks I’ve just tried doing that several times but when I’ve entered the different network name there’s nothing to type my password in it says security and to the right says none so I clicked on that and there’s a list that reads none with a tick by it , WEP,WPA,WPA2,WPA Enterprise and finally WPA2 Enterprise.

It would depend on what wireless security level was configured on your home's router. Typically, the "correct" answer here would be "WPA2 Personal." This would set the security type, not the actual password.

im thinking now of going a friends house with my iPad and entering their network and at least then I should be able to get to the settings on the desktop?

Good idea! It should, at least, verify if the issue is with the mini or the way your home network is configured.

IPad mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.