Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

missing airplay icon on macbook

My Macbook Pro is missing the airplay icon and my Apple TV isn't showing as an option on my iPhone. I just updated to Monterey and all devices are on the same wifi and airplay is on in Apple TV settings.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Dec 22, 2021 9:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2021 10:24 AM

On macOS Big Sur or later, the AirPlay icon for Screen Sharing is different than on earlier versions, and not permanently visible. Instead, it is one of the options in macOS Control Center.

Use Control Center on your Mac - Apple Support

What is your model Apple TV? Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

If other devices besides the Mac have an issue with finding the AirPlay destination device, then there may be an issue on the Apple TV box. Some issues may be model related.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2021 10:24 AM in response to delmar831

On macOS Big Sur or later, the AirPlay icon for Screen Sharing is different than on earlier versions, and not permanently visible. Instead, it is one of the options in macOS Control Center.

Use Control Center on your Mac - Apple Support

What is your model Apple TV? Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

If other devices besides the Mac have an issue with finding the AirPlay destination device, then there may be an issue on the Apple TV box. Some issues may be model related.

Dec 22, 2021 8:15 PM in response to delmar831

MacBook Pro (2019 - Monterey 12.1)

iPhone (11)

Apple TV (3 Gen)

Router set to WPA 2

Airplay was displaying in control center last week from MacBook, and now I see Screen Mirroring on all devices, but Apple TV does not show as an option on any devices.

• I updated software on these devices.
  • All are connected to the same wifi.
  • For MacBook the Airplay receiver is on
  • On iPhone Automatic Airplay is on
  • On Apple TV airplay is on
  • Apple TV was restarted
  • Router rebooted
  • Reset Router to WPA2 from WPA 3 to allow for signing in to Apple TV (wouldn't allow for sign in on WPA3).
  • Iphone will mirror to MacBook
  • "Automatically allow built-in software to receive incoming connections" selected on firewall.

Dec 24, 2021 5:03 PM in response to Urquhart1244

I followed the instructions, but still stuck

On the Apple Configure 2 the Apple TV shows, I clicked Profile and activate and there is a spinning wheel next to Apple TV. No Pair option shows up. Not sure what to do or if I wait or what.

This is the message I get when I click "Prepare on the tool bar:

"One or more of the selected devices cannot be prepared. Please select only iOS devices or Apple TV devices running tvOS 10.2 or later."

missing airplay icon on macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.